If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

Petrel with a twist

Problems with suppliers? Then post here.
NeilTarver

Re: Petrel with a twist

Post by NeilTarver » 26 Oct 2019, 06:36

Cliff

The model in question is mine and you are correct, cut with a CNC router. This is the second ARF I have acquired from this north central European manufacturer of sailplanes that can be purchased in kit, ARC or ARF form. The first also had rigging issues but to a lesser extent which I corrected as best as possible without surgery and sold the model on.

But getting back to the Petrel. In addition to the wing incidence I had to correct the tail alignment and fine cracks are developing beneath the Oratex covering on the fuz around the nose and tail which I think is filler cracking. It is a real shame. The construction of the individual airframe components is good in terms of accuracy and craftmanship and the finishing not bad at all (yes there were the usual cosmetics to sort out including paint runs). But the rigging is dreadful.

As I'm still in full time employment and travel extensively for work building a vintage glider is not feasible for a few more years so I generally fly modern glass gliders. And while I would like another larger vintage glider in addition to the Petrel ARF options are limited. I will certain not go with another product from this particular company (the Petrel supplier).

Perhaps I should have searched for CW Petrel that someone would have been prepared to sell.

Regards

Neil

John Vella

Post by John Vella » 26 Oct 2019, 09:30

Okay, I am sure most people would have worked out the manufacturer of this Petrel. I am incredulous that Old Gliders of Poland would send this glider out without even a basic rig check. Regards John.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 26 Oct 2019, 13:33

Barry_Cole wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 23:22
Less smoke????

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Lots of dust though.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 26 Oct 2019, 13:35

Yes, it is who I thought! Shame as they are nice models! Bit pricey! But this is not the first time I have heard this about the rigging of their pre-built models.

SP250

Post by SP250 » 27 Oct 2019, 08:00

Good job the PWS 101 I aquired was one built from a kit of parts then.
Thanks for the heads up, as it is my winter project to cover and paint.
I will put a rigging angles check as the first job, while it is still relatively easy to fix any problems.

John M