• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Long man hill - Sussex - SW and N

Please post here anywhare that may be of interest for anybody visiting an area where there is somewhere to fly. Where possible please include directions or map details for google.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Long man hill - Sussex - SW and N

Post by mjcp »

Flew here in a SW where the forecast was SW 10mph, building to 15mph in the afternoon (sea breeze). Slopehunter suggests the bowl (SW only) adds to the forecast wind - this was accurate. Cheapo Amazon anemometer indicated wind speeds of 12 - 18 on the day.

Parking at the foot of the hill, (pin on map) is at a cross roads of the south downs way and the local road out of Wilmington. Parking is free, very secluded (don't leave stuff on view). Walk to the bowl is uphill, its a track and is used by walkers and mountain bikers. In a SW wind, the track is sheltered and you may think there's no wind... its deceptive.

Paragliding is NOT allowed on the hill, however on the morning of my visit there was an ad-hoc lesson going on - they knew it was banned, but didn't care! They left as the wind built.

Landing area is on the rounded area near the edge of the ridge, grass is *long* and forgiving but its not a nice flat field for the delicate types. Plenty of room for my 3m K8 (no brakes or flaps) but you are landing in the lift...

Google map location:
https://goo.gl/maps/MbHRk1xbMuQ2

Youtube video:
(not mine, but the same day)

Enjoy!

Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
chris williams

Re: Long man hill - Sussex - SW and N

Post by chris williams »

SW...? Ah, I remember SW's (But only just!)