• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

How to make a Canopy with no vacform

The place for you to enrich us all with any hints or tips regarding modelling that you may wish to share
Martynk

Re: How to make a Canopy with no vacform

Post by Martynk »

Thanks Roo
Mark Richards

Post by Mark Richards »

Hi Roo,
Thanks for showing us your method of canopy forming, I have done something similar in the past.
For my Swallow canopy, I made a frame, similar to an old tennis racquet press, and trapped the plastic sheet between the two sides using wood screws. The apertures in the frame are of different sizes, the lower one being a close fit to the base of the plug and the upper one about 10mm larger all round.
With the plastic sheet held firmly in the frame, I heated it under the grill in the kitchen and waited for the plastic to go soft.
I then placed the plug on the floor and pushed the frame over it as far as I could. It took considerable pressure, and I found I had to stand on the sides of the frame to push it all the way down.
I did find that I had more success when I heated the plug with a hot air gun before pressing the frame down over it.
I love the simplicity of your method, and next time I do it, I will make the plug as you have done and grip the plastic sheet between the battens as you have shown. I will also try the cooking oil option on the plug as you suggest.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Mark
Attachments
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Mark, cooking oil; under the grill; you making lunch or what? :lol: Ter.
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

A few more questions:

1) Can you confirm what material it is that you are using PTGE PTFE - what does that stand for?
2) Where do I get it - tried PTGE on ebay but no results.
3) I see the top quality Lidl oil being put to good use but how 'perfect' does the mould actually have to be - does material stretch across imperfections or show them up?
4) I seem to remember reading somewhere that some people mould a canopy but then mould a second one directly on top of that so the first one effectively covers point 3) - have you ever tried that?

Thanks for the help!
Martynk

Post by Martynk »

Hi Nigel

Its PETG

Try this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-PETG-Sh ... 1518059054?

However, I am not sure what thickness is used
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

It is 1 mm thick , that is expensive on ebay re read the thread there is a link to eagle plastics . I pay less than £6 for that,
Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Try going to your local plastic sheet supplier
I bought a whole sheet of petg 1mm thick 1.2m x 2.4m for $25 NZ. Cheap as chips.
Stu
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

Sorry to be so late with this question, but I've only just found the thread and it's fascinating as I am going to have to replace 2 canopies in the near future.

One for my 1/5th Minimoa and one for my 1/6th Discus 2. As they are both elderly models I would think that the canopies would be quite difficult, and expensive, to buy!And as a p o o r old retired bloke I need to save all of the beer tokens I can :?

I have a bag of Mouldmaster plaster of Paris. Would that be OK to use for the plug? I have made a plug for my PSS Foland Gnat, but finished up finding and buying a canopy for it so it hasn't been used so I'm not too sure about it?

It certainly sounds like a good idea to warm/heat the mould even although that would increase the cooling time. I have some release wax for polyester GRP moulding, would that be suitable as a release for the formed plastic?
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.