• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Applying Solartex

The place for you to enrich us all with any hints or tips regarding modelling that you may wish to share
MikeA

Applying Solartex

Post by MikeA »

Hi Chaps

There is a strong possibility of me committing model covering in the next few weeks. If anyone has any great tips on applying natural Solartex, then please let me know. I'd rather learn from your mistakes than make my own - again.

Cheers, Mike
chris williams

Re: Applying Solartex

Post by chris williams »

It's hard to make a mistake with Natural Solartex... ;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Mike,
I would advise first applying a covering adhesive such Balsaloc (or similar) over a wooden structure before applying the Solartex as this makes it stick much better.
Use the general covering instructions given with the rolls.
I would also suggest that unless you are intending to paint the Solartex, you paint the surface of the covered model with dope or similar to seal the Solartex weave. Otherwise the surface will quickly become grubby and is difficult to clean. ;)
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

I've never needed to use Balsaloc, other than for the under cambered sections of the wing ribs. Once properly tautened, Solartex stays stable for years... My limited experience with pre-painted Solartex was not nearly as good...!
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Read and follow the instructions supplied with Solartex to the letter...and don't use a heat gun.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Wise words! thanks everyone. Mike