• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Masking symmetrical curves

The place for you to enrich us all with any hints or tips regarding modelling that you may wish to share
Ken Long

Masking symmetrical curves

Post by Ken Long »

Hi,

I am after some advice regarding masking my fuselage so that the curves are the same both sides.

I guess there is a simple solution, so I would appreciate any suggestions please.

Regards,

Ken
BrianF

Re: Masking symmetrical curves

Post by BrianF »

For stripes, decals or masking, I use a longitudinal datum, can be top or bottom of the fuselage, a drawn line along a length of tape or use the tape edge. What ever works best for you. I apply the first side stripe/decal/mask using Mark 1 eyeball or set some index marks along the datum and measure and apply small pieces of tape (diamond shaped) to act as an alignment guide. You can use the lower/upper point of the diamond as your mark to bring the stripe/decal/mask to. Then replicate that on the other side measuring from your datum line to the stripe/decal/mask. For masking tape I'd allow for the width of the tape so you don't mask over the "diamond marks". To measure the points, I've used dress maker's tape, paper strips, even some string and a pen. Hopefully that makes sense.
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
Ken Long

Re: Masking symmetrical curves

Post by Ken Long »

Many thanks Brian - I’ll have to experiment with that.

I am building a 1/4 scale Flamingo glider from the Chris Williams plan and it won’t be long before I start the covering / spraying - mind you the spraying will have to wait till the weather warms up a bit here in the UK! I don’t suppose you have that problem where you are?

Regards,

Ken