Algebra build thread

All non-scale topis should go in here for discussion.
john greenfield

Re: Algebra build thread

Post by john greenfield » 13 Nov 2017, 08:10

Cliff Evans wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 12:17
Would be great to get Sean's views.
john greenfield wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 09:18
You guys may be interested to know that Sean Banister has come back into modeling and is a member of my local club. I am sure he will be keen to know of the regeneration and interest in one of his designs.

AEB
I will ask him next time I see him.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 13 Nov 2017, 16:49

Meanwhile, the two 6SWG wire wing joiners have been bent to give 2.5 degree dihedral angle & bonded into the fuselage with polyester resin plus a ply faced resin box around the forward joiner. (it is a bit more difficult to get to the rear joiner, so this just has a fillet of resin on the inside).

A servo tray for the rudder & elevator servos plus switch has been mounted on bearers glued to the sides with resin.
The AMT pivot has also been fitted as per Sean's design so that the cruciform mounted tailplane is fairly high up the tail for ground clearance.
The AMT uses 14SWG wires with the pivot in a brass tube which is secured to the fin using externally fitted M3 steel washers due to lack of internal fin width. M3 washers also fitted between the AMT crank and each fin side to avoid resin getting into the crank bearing surface.

10mm thick tailpane halves also cut from light balsa and fitted with AMT wire tubes. A line has been drawn around the tailplanes 6mm up to identify the 60/40% thickness point to get the inverted camber when profiled later.

Elevator pushrod made from 5mm Carbon tube with clevis fittings epoxied into each end. The rear fitting also contains a crank to lift the AMT pivot attachment clevis to the correct height. The pushrod passes above the wing joiners at forward end, so everything has full and free movement.

The rudder C/L wires will pass from the servo arms via a tube on the right hand of the fuselage through exit tubes bonded into the lower part of the fin to reach the rudder horns.

Finally, a photo showing the main components put together. Starting to look the part now.
Attachments
AMT crank_small.jpg
AMT crank installation
Fin_AMT_small.jpg
Fin AMT mounting
Fuselage servo_small.jpg
Fuselage servos & joiner installation
Fuselage_small.jpg
Overall fuselage
Initial assembly_small.jpg
Initial assembly
Tailplane blanks_small.jpg
Tailplane halves

eric friend

Post by eric friend » 14 Nov 2017, 20:03

In my 'in-house model shop' , i.e. the attic. I have a ready-to-fly 2.5 metre Algebra (ply fuz) complete with Fleet servos :o , a part built 2.5 metre version plus two rare unbuilt 2 metre kits. I remember seeing Sean flying the original at the Silent Flight Nats back in the 80s, it certainly used to shoot up the line! :D

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 14 Nov 2017, 21:02

I have an algebra, told it maybe a mick reeves version! The airframe is over 40 years old now, so im reluctant to fly it. If anyone has a kit of this version or can shed any more light please pm me!

Good luck with the build, looks great!
Attachments
IMG_2445.JPG

Tctele

Post by Tctele » 26 Nov 2017, 15:54

Well being a new member and corresponding with Peter on his Algebra I've decided to design a new wing for my untouched kit from many moons ago. The original unbuilt wings have de laminated but I always loved the lines of the Algebra. The wing is an Aegea/Supra hybrid at 120" Using AG35 - AG37, I may change the section but this is a first draft and it would be quite easy and quick to build, EDA is 6 degrees. Please feel free to comment or suggest any improvements. This is my first real go with Wing Helper, I have Profili Pro and Compufoil, if version 4 comes out as promised by the end of the year I think it will be a great tool.

Could anyone point me please to who does laser cut ribs and webbing.

Tony
Attachments
algebra.png

Tctele

Post by Tctele » 26 Nov 2017, 16:01

Obviously I've done someting wrong with trying to upload a scree shot! Apologies all

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 26 Nov 2017, 16:11

I do laser cutting!

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 26 Nov 2017, 16:35

Cliff Evans wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 16:11
I do laser cutting!
And very good it is too, if I may say so....

:D :D :D :D

BC

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 26 Nov 2017, 16:58

Thanks Barry. :oops:

Tctele

Post by Tctele » 26 Nov 2017, 18:50

Hi Cliff

I'm not quite finished with the draft yet. I need to order some carbon and select some more wood to get the exact measurements then I can finish off the wing plus do the tail feathers. Can you cut the webs as well as the ribs and is dxf ok? If you don't mind sending me your e mail address in a pm I'll send you the files when I'm done which will include a full wing planform, plus some notes which should be sometime this week. I'm in no massive rush to get them cut as I wouldn't start building until the New Year with Christmas coming up and I'm sure you're probably busy.

All the best, Tony