• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Albion 5m Electric soarer

All non-scale topis should go in here for discussion.
RobbieB

Re: Albion 5m Electric soarer

Post by RobbieB »

I think we all need proof of that!
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Ha, I was just looking at an Albion I have in the loft with "Pat Teakle" style wings (white foam with 1 inch by 1/4 inch spruce spars) glasscloth covered.
The wings are 2 piece - so a pain to transport and there was even a Futaba S148 servo still in the fuz on rudder.

I was wondering if it would make a half decent practice model for the Sport class of GPS Triangle racing as the weight was about 1.5 kg less than my moulded Valenta 5m Thermik XXXL and the same sort of wing area.
I have a spare Hacker B50 -7S with 6.7:1 gearbox, and plenty of suitable servos / Rx.

With a new set of Cliff's wings might be even lighter, what does the collective expertise think - good and cheap GPS entry/practice model or forget the idea?

John M
simon_t

Post by simon_t »

John - I think it would make a passable practice model for GPS triangle, but don’t go too light! Even though the older wing sections don’t look very different to today’s, there is no doubt the modern sections have better penetration whilst still showing a low sink rate. If the model is too light the danger would be a lack of mobility around the triangle.

Simon
simon_t

Post by simon_t »

And, as the gauntlet has been thrown down, some photos of Brian S, Dave Charle’s Albran 5T, and for good measure one of me in the same period, all from Kai Erdman’s book

Simon
71A94405-1108-4C23-8D45-897941ADE3CA.jpeg
4EEFEC90-C79E-47C7-9D6A-5B731E39C91E.jpeg
A3B52AD4-CCE0-4D7D-AE70-0A7FBFFEE9EB.jpeg
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Thanks for your comments on the Albion Simon.
So as I was planning on a new set of wings, get Cliff to cut the ribs to a modern section, then we are in with a shout of having something useable for GPS. Was always going to keep the ballasting option open.

John M
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Wow Simon, that's a blast from the past. That O/D Buccaneer was one of my better models for F3b and cross country as well as breezy thermal days. I seem to remember it earned me a bit of silverware in it's time. I haven't a clue who the young guy holding it is. :D :D :D
However, whilst hunting through the archives I came across a picture of Dave holding what appears to be his Albion?
Brian. :D
Attachments
O/D Buccaneer.
O/D Buccaneer.
Dave Charles with Albion?
Dave Charles with Albion?
simon_t

Post by simon_t »

I wonder if he made some short wings for windy days, but to be honest I don’t remember him flying that version. Must have been the era where we all had triple coloured wingtips with a gradual fade of colour...

Simon
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Dave's pic was taken at the Brit Soaring Nats at Cranwell in 1987 and I think it was F3b day (hence the short wings). My Buccaneer pic was dated 1989, possibly when I was expressing my "inner feminine side". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian. :D
SP250

Post by SP250 »

The Dave Charles pic looks like something of Multiplex origin to me, Fiesta or Flamingo maybe, but it certainly doesn't look like an Albion fuselage.
Wrong canopy opening and no second opening hatch between the wing roots, also wing root fairings which the Albion doesn't have.
Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

John M
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Back to the build & the inner panels have now had their joiner rear incidence pins fitted and boxed in, plus hinge spar doubler fitted & everything on the top sanded to profile ready for the top skins.

The first 300mm electric airbrake assembly has been fitted in pretty easily as it just fits between the brake space ribs. It only needed a slot cut in the brake space root end rib (similar to that provided in the others) in order to allow clearance for the motor assembly, plus a couple of notches in the web/top rear spar to allow it to drop into place.
The brake assembly has been initially fixed in place with Evostick.

Meanwhile, the 1st tailplane has had its joiner tubes fitted and has been skinned in 1/16” Balsa. The 1/4” LE is being fitted as two 1/8” strips to allow it to follow the tip end curvature better. The 1” stock TE strip has also been fitted, so only the tip block is left to be added before the LE is profiled & final sanding.
Attachments
Left Inner panel
Left Inner panel
Left brake
Left brake
Tailplane nearly done
Tailplane nearly done