• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Martynk

Re: Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Post by Martynk »

Personally, I don't care either way. I would never dictate to anyone how they should enjoy their hobby/pastime/sport but I do think it looks odd when I see a scale glider that clearly never had a whirly bit fitted with one.

Perhaps we should all build RF-4s or similar for marginal conditions.
Andrew Ray

Post by Andrew Ray »

Scale Police wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 22:46
Andrew Ray wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 20:07 I am amazed that this even warrants a discussion. Theoretically any full size glider could be retrofitted with a FES and thus be scale, if it is a scale comp where documentation is required then a model so fitted (if the full size was not) would not be scale.

It really all depends how many rivets you want to count and for that look at the plastic scale model forums, some really get upset over the accuracy or not of various models, pistols at dawn scenario.

Personally if it helps me fly a scale glider solo then great (and isn't that what it is all about?), it is a compromise I am prepared to take, it opens up a whole load of places to fly from so it's a YES from me and the Scale Police needs to move with the times ;)

Hope I haven't offended anybody, not my intention.
We were only responding to a request for this subject! If a full size glider is retro fitted with a sustainer then fine, but if a model is based on a glider with no such device but fitted with said sustainer then, not fine in the eyes of the law!
Oops, not a hanging offence yet then :lol:

A late reply as I have been crewing for a mate at the Bicester Regionals, I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of the law officer.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

A few weekends ago, I spent time and money travelling to our local westerly slope on the promise from the met office of a half decent blow.
On arrival and rigging, I discover the 9mph is probably more like 5-6 and my discus being a little heavy would very likely struggle. I waited for half an hour then bottled it, packed up and went home. If i had taken my little ASW28 with motor in the nose, I could have had a couple of hours of gliding time, safe in the knowledge that if the wind was a bit tricksy, then my well loved model could be saved from the rocks and ocean below.

Every model I own, scale or not will be getting a motor if it's viable, technology has saved our already 'niche of a niche' hobby from the abyss as far as I'm concerned.

I realise this discussion centres on the scale nature of the hobby and that's why we're all members of scale soaring, but I do think that the ability to fly pretty much anywhere with added safety must have a great bearing on the promotion and hopefully expansion of this side of model aeronautics.

I am able to fly scale gliders pretty much any decent day now, in the field over the road, I don't need a bungee (not terribly scale) just a pocket full of lipos and the absence of enquiring cows; it's really put some pep back into my aeromodelling.

I've just ordered a scale profile spinner from Schambeck to adapt my Let Ash26 (1/3 scale) which will be very scale once I've found a real one with a FES on t'internet ;)

As an aside, do the scale police take issue with say a 1/4 scale tug pulling up a 1/3 scale glider?

Ell.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Anyone (Scale police included) who complains about any sort of tug pulling up a scale glider, should be banned from all aerotows.

Tugs of any sort are expensive to run, and need constant maintenance to keep them flight ready.

For scale tugs apply a factor of 10 or more.

Just be pleased that there are people out there who are happy to provide and fly the tugs.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC