• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Barry_Cole

Re: Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Post by Barry_Cole »

I vote YES...

BC
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Perfect...Brexit all over again :x
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

mikeE wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 23:19.
Can't pass a comment, if you've never flown one.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Sorry to tell you,Terry, but Scale Police is not me, but I appreciate the fun and humour
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Vince, in that case, if the scale police is not you it must be Mr Cliff Evans.' He did it in the lobby with a candlestick in collusion with miss Grey'. :roll: I deduce this from checking the frequency and reliability of his posting when only he would make such a remark of an earlier post. I win give me the money :lol: :lol: Ter.
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

Dont care, its down to personal choice. And if the Scale Police want to start on at non scale tugs they are welcome to buy a scale one and do it themselves
Ian Stromberg

Post by Ian Stromberg »

Ventus 2cxa
Ventus 2cxa
As Chris said...................... It's Brexit all over again :lol:
Attachments
Discus 2c
Discus 2c
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

I've just returned from my local slope where the 'breeze' was zero to two mph despite a forecast of five to six mph.
However, I had a thoroughly enjoyable session made possible with the help of the motor in the nose of my semi-scale glider which I turned on for just five seconds every three or four minutes.

I had a couple of twenty minute flights in conditions that I wouldn't have dared to attempt with an unpowered glider and this turned what could have been a frustrating trip into a satisfying visit to the North Downs.

The only sour note was the litter left by picnickers on the top of the slope and the McDonalds trash thoughtlessly discarded by visitors to the car parking area. Once again I cleared the litter and deposited it the bin in the nearby village - I still cannot understand why people cannot dispose of food containers and drinks bottles properly!!!
terry white

Post by terry white »

Mike E wrote :-The other aspect of this thread is where does a sustainer stop and power begin?
Chris’s article is great and Chris’s attitude to sustainers is also very good. I can see no reason why anyone would complain about his actions . He launches and recovers when necessary, with a soft motor on a model that is flown in light conditions. He flies in an area where agreements are in place and he respects them.

So where exactly is the problem?

Surly as chairman of the LAMA you are not suggesting that because some odd flyer may not fly in the manner that Chris does, that he may flaunt the rules, therefore no one can use sustainers on the Mynd, or are you?
If that odd flyer has no care for your rules he will fly there in the same manner anyway, so you are no better off.

Also it is talked about 'when used in an event'. We use them when and where they are required, perhaps every day perhaps not, not just in an event. Chris in his video which you admired was not in an event.He was at White sheet, land owned by the N.T.

However I believe I am correct in saying that the ban relating to the Mynd is total at all the times, at any time, and to any one.
catwok

Post by catwok »

I remember years ago when my father dragged me to every event going in the UK, most models were 1/5th scale. At 1 event, someone hauled a 1/4 scale Minimoa up the hill to a mixed reception... most were amazed and the minority were negative saying it was too big and dangerous.

Turn up at any event these days and see how many 1/3rd scale and bigger models are present. This is a natural evolution of the hobby. But not a take over, just another version what we were all doing 30 or 40 years ago with a little insurance policy on the front.

All the guys I fly with who have motors fitted are extremely competent pilot's and will only use the motor at the point of no return. This will probably last for a 30 second use of the motor to get back to a safe height. Surely this is better and safer than risking landing out of sight!