• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Andrew Ray

Re: Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Post by Andrew Ray »

I am amazed that this even warrants a discussion. Theoretically any full size glider could be retrofitted with a FES and thus be scale, if it is a scale comp where documentation is required then a model so fitted (if the full size was not) would not be scale.

It really all depends how many rivets you want to count and for that look at the plastic scale model forums, some really get upset over the accuracy or not of various models, pistols at dawn scenario.

Personally if it helps me fly a scale glider solo then great (and isn't that what it is all about?), it is a compromise I am prepared to take, it opens up a whole load of places to fly from so it's a YES from me and the Scale Police needs to move with the times ;)

Hope I haven't offended anybody, not my intention.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I've not personally had to face this dilemma but for me Chris W. makes the case very eloquently in his RCSD article. What matters and what doesn't on scale models is always a very personal choice. Personally, I've never understood why competition scale models were allowed to change their propeller between static and flying judging, but I wouldn't seek to ban anyone flying with a non-scale prop - just expect to see it marked down in the static judging.

Surely even the Scale Police should be content to mark down (or sneer and make snide remarks, depending on the formality of the event!) when confronted by a moustachioed glider. But ban from taking part? Surely not!
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Now everything has been aired on this subject maybe Scale Police could look at Empty Cockpit Syndrome. I personally find this more offensive than a folded prop on the nose.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

With the amount of detail these guys go into, Power Scale would be baffled at an acceptance of a prop on a scale model glider.

So, we need to differentiate between 'Fun Fly' and 'Scale Events'
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Are there actually any "Scale" comps run these days. I thought they had died out years ago??

:? :? :? :?

BC
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

They died out during SSS days, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for quality, a feature which is becoming unfashionable in this throw away and buy another one day. That is why our society has fewer and fewer skilled craftsmen
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I was at one last Sunday Barry, and very nice it was too ( long mynd). Going to one next month at Leek and Moorland and that should be a bit of fun as well.
Brian. :)
terry white

Post by terry white »

I am sure you are right Barry. I used to run and judge the MVSA scale comp many years ago, and forgive me Brian but the Long Mynd scale is a meeting not a scale comp in the proper sense of the word. Apart from pilots preference there is no judging of scale fidelity and no judged flying as per the scale interpretation of the modeled aircraft. I am not knocking this I like many prefer it to a full on competition.
The problem with the scale competitions were that due to the relative high experience of the few, and the 'S' factor system employed in the show ring (most points going to the total scratch build, less for a kit build and less again for slot together. and if you bought it second hand forget a placing) it was found that the same great pilots won every time. No new and up and coming pilots would give over the 2-3 pound entrance fee just to take part and applaud the deserved winner. I tried to introduce a tier system which was to counteract that but it only ran for two years before finishing. People preferring the fly-ins as apposed to the full comp.

Having since attended many fly-ins I must say that they are the far better format. Now everyone can take part on an equal level with much more a fun day. Also lets face it Vince and the scale police ( are you one of the same I wonder :roll: )although there are some of us who like to build and fly scale ships finished to a concourse finish most are happy to sport a pilot or a retract.
Here in the south we have a number of impromptu scale get together' s as apposed to fly-ins. With word of mouth and the electric tom-tom's being the norm. We don't really care if your pride and joy is held together by sticky tape and string the only must is that you enjoy yourself. We certainly do not spend time worrying if someone is going to switch on a sustainer or not to get himself out of trouble,that would be a forgone conclusion.
This hobby of ours is so wonderful bringing together like minded people hopefully to enjoy the fruits of our labour honed by many years of practice, lets not spoil it by allowing the few to insist that my way is right,my way is the only way, or you are not flying with us. This smacks of playground bullying which to my mind has no place in our hobby. Regards to all Ter.
terry white

Post by terry white »

YouTube-- E Dartification and E Bergification --Both by Chris Williams (sorry cant seem to get the direct links)

This is what we are discussing folk.

I thought that we all ought to see for ourselves and make decisions while looking at visuals.
For much more info, more of Chris's Electrified models and his unique humor go to the RCDS thread on this site and down load.
You wont be sorry. Ter.
Last edited by terry white on 20 Jul 2018, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Maybe we should have a poll. Yes or no on this.
Last edited by roo Hawkins on 20 Jul 2018, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.