If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Cliff Evans

Re: Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Post by Cliff Evans » 21 Jul 2018, 13:15

alibodin wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 12:18
An interesting discussion indeed, however I had a wry smile, as when registering we are encouraged "to register with your full name, and not some weird " avatar".", just curious why this would appear not to apply to Scale Police unless that really is their name. ;)
Scale Police, they are a law unto themselves!

matt

Post by matt » 21 Jul 2018, 14:08

We have to conform every day of our lives. Hobbies are for pleasure and the individuals choice, not of their peer. In the vast scheme of things doe's it really matter if it's scale or not?(If it was to the nth degree no one would meet the criteria). We could all be dead tomorrow!

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 21 Jul 2018, 19:15

matt - depends on the individual how much scale, but as for me, for example, the See Adler had rope around the base of the fuselage for mooring, so instead of using a bit of string, I made a rope walk and spun my own scale rope. Some may think I am crazy, but I like a challenge, but I would not even contemplate a propeller after all the effort I put in to it

terry white

Post by terry white » 22 Jul 2018, 10:30

I don't know what to say Vince, Seems that you are in the wrong hobby to me.You should have been a model railway enthusiast, they spend their time in a similar manner but don't fight the elements with it when its finished. My mothers words come to mind when I would take my latest efforts home in a dustbin liner. She would say, while shaking her head, hands in the sink, "all that work night after night, all that pocket money gone on bits and pieces, all that loving care to paint it, and then you go and chuck it off some hill. :lol:

To bring the thread back on line,what I will say is that I agree you could not have a prop on the front of such a lovely aircraft as that,that would be sacrilege. However if heavens forbid you should be flying it one day when you've not made peace with the wind gods and they stop blowing. With your lovely lovely model slowly descending into the abis below.With your buttocks clenched, you might, just might,be heard to say:-

"Now I agree that on the right aircraft a sustainer makes good sense". :o Kind regards Ter.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 22 Jul 2018, 10:38

I have always said that yes you spend all that time building and perfecting the masterpiece but, you must be as prepared to say goodbye to it as you are to throw it off of that hill. Nature of the hobby, especially when you first start out!

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 22 Jul 2018, 19:30

Well well! This is from a someone who is not a member here posted on facebook! Oh and not related in any way! I am so glad that I do not need these little blue pills yet!
Screenshot 2018-07-22 19.26.59.png

ARUP

Post by ARUP » 22 Jul 2018, 21:55

Yes or no... it depends! If flying for fun then yes... put one on if you wish! If at a scale contest then no. The contest organizers should have tow planes willing and able... right? Never say never but I don't think I'll ever put one on any of my models unless the full scale version had one. Not having a propped nose keeps me motivated to attend the next aerotow event! Also, I don't 'do' scale contests! I ain't paying good money to have people tell me how crummy my model is when I know it is 'crummier' than they think! :lol:

chris williams

Post by chris williams » 23 Jul 2018, 00:22

Two things of note at White Sheet yesterday...
First, that well known old purist Pat Teakle flew an E-Assist K18, and then asked if we could run an event for such models at White Sheet next year! Secondly, poor 'ol Ray Watts became the only one to land out, if decorating the top of a tree could ever be called landing out. Our intrepid chairman went all the way home and back to fetch his climbing gear (his other hobby) and retrieved the model for Ray. Obviously, a moustache in this instance would have saved an awful lot of hassle...

It does trouble me a little that those that oppose E-Assist seem to be the ones that have never tried it :?:
Attachments
01.jpg
10.jpg

Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts » 23 Jul 2018, 06:37

This was another incident like my foray last year at the Mynd.

This time there was nobody really willing to give it a go with a non e-assist glider of any size, but I had flown my electric Thermic dream and found a lot of thermals so I prepped my 24 and waited for a thermal to pass through and launched. Initially I was at half hill height immediately from launch, but flying to the end of the hill, it came back up to my level. A couple of passes and then it hooked a thermal. This resulted in a climb to 1000 feet above launch. There followed a 40 minute flight using thermals which were in abundance and a good time was had. But then all of a sudden nothing and it came down about 200 feet a minute and it was game over. Unfortunately (or lack of skill on my part) whilst watching the shadow over the field at the bottom, I stalled the model at the wrong time and place and it sat itself in the top of the highest tree. E-assist would have prevented a whole lot of effort that followed the incident, and my feeling the need for oxygen after walking up and down the hill a couple of times. Many thanks though to the White Sheet chairman and his mate for recovering it which took about an hour and a half.

The 24 nose is coming off now.

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 23 Jul 2018, 07:37

I have tried it, I do have an electric assist glider in the van at all times but, it is not a scale Glider! I am not saying that there is not a place for it at all, I just don't think they should be put on scale gliders where the full size do not. Especially when the event is billed as a "scale day" I certainly would not have an objection to an event solely for the use of models with sustainers.

I have been a member for just over 3 years now. and running the site for just under 1 year. I joined because it was dedicated to scale gliders and all on here were like minded in that interest. The hobby has changed and so has our use and attitude towards it, this is quite obvious from some of the strong opinions being displayed here. This being said, I have decided to set up a section where all things sustainers can be discussed, it seems only right to do so.