• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Painting FES propellers

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Phill Tadman

Painting FES propellers

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all,

Any tips or warnings for painting FES carbon fibre propellers?

Thanks,

Phill
Elliot Howells

Re: Painting FES propellers

Post by Elliot Howells »

Phill,

I've got a few to do, I was just thinking about making sure an even coat, the same for each blade, so hanging them side by side and doing typical smooth strokes...

Be interested to hear more.

Ell.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

That’s my thinking too. I was going to give them a light keying with 240 grit first to help the paint bond. Then weigh them after painting and see how close they are.
Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack »

Clean the blades real good....you can sand with 320 if you want.....but not necessary.....then spray with Self etching Primer followed by your primer coat....then color coat followed by a clear coat. Then mount them to the hub and put them in a balancer....use more clear to even out the weight of the blades.
MDev

Post by MDev »

I watched Terry W sharpen the leading edge of a Cam Carbon set of blades with the edge of a sharp knife, held at about 90 degrees, pulling it down the length to the tip till he was satisfied.

Perhaps he’ll come in and comment?
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Mark, You are not quite right, I was not sharpening the leading edges but de-flashing them. As purchased the props will have had a limited amount of fettering from the factory leaving the L.E and the T.E quite rough to the touch, Lightly running a sharp knife from hub to tip will remove this flashing then finishing with 320 wet n dry. Balance the prop by taking a little material from the trailing edge of the heavier blade after making sure that both blades are exactly the same length. The advantage of this is one of less vibration through-out the airframe and especially kind the motor bearings. I once asked Paritech guys while flying with them on our slopes how they painted their props. They said. first take the mold release off with a light rub of alcohol then a light sanding of 320 paper.To finish a light spray of etching primer coat finishing with a light coat of two pack white.The emphasis is on light. complete the job by re balancing. Terry.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

No matter what you do, your prop could well end up looking like the one on the yellow Bergfalke. This is a good thing. It means you've had some flying out of it!
Attachments
IMG_5124.JPG
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Also love the lateral thinking in that shot - leave the prop and paint your model black. :D
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Jolly Roger wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 13:57 Also love the lateral thinking in that shot - leave the prop and paint your model black. :D
😂😂😂
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Well I think mine is best. At least I can see if the prop is there....

8-) :D 8-) :D

BC