• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

ASW 22

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Martin G

ASW 22

Post by Martin G »

All,

I have just purchased a used 1/4 scale ASW 22 from what looks to be the Glas Flugel range.

Wingspan is 6.25m and I am considering adding an electric thermal generator to the front end to help me get back to the top of the slope, if the lift dies. I have no idea as to the final weight of the model as it is not yet in flying condition.

Any opinions as to which motor/battery combination would be a good option? Looking on the forum it appears that AXI 41 series on 6s might be the way to go.

I will probably fly the model as a pure slope model first, and, if it is a "keeper" then retro fit the motor, so there is no great rush to get it completed just yet!

Martin.
terry white

Re: ASW 22

Post by terry white »

Martin, never forget that with a thermal generator up front you can go into any field nearby and fly your heart out. :D Go to any aerotow and not wait for the tug! :) That model will be super for a barmy summer evening doing just that. I just love flying aloft while others are sitting on the ground waiting for the wind or the tug to get them off. :o I would go with that from the start and not do any of the work twice. Axi motors are a good all round to start, select the model when final weight has been found. Ter.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Martin,
The prototype 6m PT ASW22 prototype weighed approx. 7.25Kg, but that would almost certainly have been without any retract unit fitted or outfitted cockpit.
Martin G

Post by Martin G »

Peter,

Many thanks for the weight. My model has no retract or cockpit interior either so 7+kg is a good starting point for me.

Martin.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

My 1/4 Discus has a Hacker A40 500kv motor, which on 5s runs at around 60 amps on a 15x10 prop - perhaps a little under powered for your model, but then my other scale models with FES' are A50 motors which run at 2.5Kw, so easily pull 13kg's of glider. I'd get your '22 built as much as possible and then see how much lead you need to balance, I've found that the motor and batteries usually match the lead exactly, it's uncanny.

Ell.