• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

!/4 Scale Slingsby Sky

Mike F

!/4 Scale Slingsby Sky

Post by Mike F »

I have just received a very old model of a Slingsby Sky. It is in RAF colours and seems to be modelled on one of the gliders that competed in world championships in the early 1950's.

The model is believed to have been built in the 1980's.

Does anyone recognise the model and the designer? Seeing Brian's rebuild of the EoN Olympia, I thought it might be a John Watkins design?

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.
Screenshot (43).png
Many thanks
Mike
Mike F

Re: !/4 Scale Slingsby Sky

Post by Mike F »

Hi Brian

No, I have not had much success in finding out who the designer was. I was hoping that Roger from Sutton Bank may have some ideas. He has a good nose for these things, but nothing yet.

The airframe does look in very good condition. It seems to be covered in a lightweight fabric with a applied paint/dope finish. the RAF roundels seem to be waterslide and the competition numbers and glider code are cut from vinyl, or similar.

The DFS airbrakes are driven by a single servo mounted between the fuselage wing root formers. The push rods were very bent probably due to the wings being stored at some time by standing them on their wing roots.

There is some minor surface damage to the fuselage paint surface here and there, but I have seen worse on full size vintage machines.

If anyone has thought on the source plan or designer please chip in.

A few more photos....

Mike F
Attachments
Rear Fuselage Internal View
Rear Fuselage Internal View
Cockpit Internal View
Cockpit Internal View
Wing Roots and Push Rods
Wing Roots and Push Rods
Fin & Rudder
Fin & Rudder
General View of Fus and Wings
General View of Fus and Wings
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Sorry Mike I’m not sure of your Sky’s origins. You’re right that John Watkins made a lovely model of the Sky but I think that was 1:3.5 scale and in the 1990s. Other than Chris Williams, the only other UK scale model glider designers from the 80s that I know produced plans were Mike Smart and Keith Humber. But i never heard of either of them making a Sky.

The model looks lovely by the way and I expect would fly slowly on that scale-like wing section. Just noticed the twin horns on each aileron...very scale! The full size has split ailerons because they are so long. Your builder had an eye for detail. ;)

If you need any photos of full size Sky’s just ask - I have dozens! There are usually at least 2 at the annual Slingsby Vintage Glider weeks held at Sutton Bank every August. It has lovely proportions although a relatively short nose for the long tail moment, so the tail end needs weight-watching :D .

Rog
P.s. drove past your neck of the woods yesterday on our way down to Cornwall.
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Roger

So no further on with the designer. The model Sky could have been developed from a Gull IV plan since they have similar proportions with stretched fuselage and greater wingspan.

I will try to find out more about the builder, I believe he was a local guy, perhaps there are fellow fliers that are still active.

The model very well replicates one of the competition Skys. I found a photo of one on www.all-aero.com. This is the only ref that I can find to one in RAF colours is XA876. I think that the builder of this model may have guessed at the Code since it is vague on the photo; choosing a figure 9 rather that 8. The reference XA876 is the only on on R Cawsey's Sky listing, but his list is incomplete.

Cliff, thanks for the link to Jim's drawings. They do not tie up with the structure of this model, but Jim's wing design would make for a nice flying model.

I'll continue to tidy up the airframe and fit it out with up new gear.

Regards

Mike
Attachments
R Cawsey's reference list
R Cawsey's reference list
XA-796 in the early '50s
XA-796 in the early '50s
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi All,

Any idea what the logo on the nose is? I will try contacting the Vintage guys at Lasham.

Regards
Mike
catwok

Post by catwok »

Hi Mike, if your model was built off my fathers plan then it has been modified. The wing root / section certainly looks different as does the wing retention system.
Attachments
20210811_180217.jpg
20210811_174818.jpg
20210811_174557.jpg
catwok

Post by catwok »

A few more close ups...
Attachments
Root detail
Root detail
Tailplane seat
Tailplane seat
Cockpit interior
Cockpit interior
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Paul

Thanks for sending details of John's Sky. As you say the wing and tailplane connection details are quite different as is the servo gear installation.

I recently assembled the model and tested the flying surface movement. Rudder, elevator and brakes all functioned well, but the ailerons had what I feel to be quite limited movement; about 13mm up and 9mm down measured at the inner end of the ailerons, what do you think?

Flying weight looks as if it will be between 6 and 6.5kg.

I think that with a clean up and some minor filling retouching of paint on the fus, she'll be ready to go. I think I will also install an aerotow hitch in the nose.

I would really like to know if anybody has a clue as to the nose art on the B&W photo in one of the post above. I think it is probably the ETPS logo, but can't trace their 1950s version. There isn't so much historical info on the web about this.

Hi Cliff

Thanks for the link to JIm's model drawings. Nicely drawn, but too recent for this particular Sky which I think was built in the late 1990's.

Any comments and additional Sky details gratefully received.

Many thanks to Cliff, Paul and Roger for information provided to date.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
Recently Assembled the Sky for Testing and CofG Check
Recently Assembled the Sky for Testing and CofG Check
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Mike,
The ETPS logo on my Oly VV400 which was built in 1946 I think uses the attached crest.
If that suits then Vince kindly drew up the graphic & Barry Cole made decals for me some years ago.
He probably still has them on his PC somewhere.
Peter
Attachments
6A46C9ED-ABC7-4275-BC96-A272EA109E41.jpeg
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Peter

What an amazing forum this is!

Yes, I think that the logo you have posted is the same as the one on the B&W photo above.

Thanks for your response.

Regards
Mike