Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

EON Olympia 419

B Sharp

Re: EON Olympia 419

Post by B Sharp »

Last night I was contemplating how I was going to stabilise the tailplane system over a glass of Scottish amber thinking juice when I came up with an idea. I have initially stabilised the tubes running through the fuselage that carry the tailplane rotational rod and the crank. I did this by levering them into the desired position and carefully locking them in place with cyano. I then cut two small squares of sheet brass drilled with holes which would be an interference fit for the rotational rod. The rod was then given a coat of Vaseline, slid into place and the brass pivot plates slid into place and glued with epoxy.
When dry the rod was removed with a pair of pliers and cleaned up. The result is that the tailplane assembly is nice and solid with no slop or excess movement in any direction. Once again RESULT!
I have also filled in the hole in the fuselage which gave access to the crank. Finally the balsa patch and the tail skid area have been given a coat of filler ready for final sanding.
Brian. :)
Attachments
Brass bearing plate epoxied in place.
Brass bearing plate epoxied in place.
Tail end ready for sanding.
Tail end ready for sanding.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Having tidied up all my kit after returning from the Leek and Moorland Scale Bash and since I have a few days before I disappear to polar bear land I have started work on the over-wing fairing. The existing fairing was made from ¼ ply crutch and 1/64 birch ply and it was showing signs of its age. I decided to reuse the timber crutch and form a new aluminium skin. I used the existing skin as a template and marked up a sheet of 1mm aluminium. This was cut to shape with a pair of tin-snips. I then spent a productive hour or so starting the bending process. The metal is starting to harden and be a little more uncooperative so I will anneal it by heating it up with a small blowtorch and that should make it a bit more malleable.
Attachments
The existing fairing looking a bit tired.
The existing fairing looking a bit tired.
The underside.
The underside.
Modifying the timber crutch.
Modifying the timber crutch.
Cutting the aluminium for the skin with tin-snips.
Cutting the aluminium for the skin with tin-snips.
Aluminium skin and modified crutch.
Aluminium skin and modified crutch.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have been doing a bit of “blacksmithing” on the over-wing fairing and have now got a pretty good fit over the wings. It took a bit of bending and trimming to get the aluminium worked into the correct shape and it will still require a little fettling before it can be painted. It has been a long time since I did any metal bashing but it proved to be quite satisfying.
Attachments
A little fettling still to do.
A little fettling still to do.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have now returned from polar bear land but have been too busy with harvest to do much on the Oly. I did however manage to fit in a couple of hours on the over-wing fairing. The bending and shaping is now complete and there is a good fit to the fuselage/wing/canopy areas. A couple of coats of filler primer and two coats of colour sees the fairing finished and good to go.
Attachments
Completed new over-wing fairing.
Completed new over-wing fairing.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I had an hour to spare this morning so I decided to get the “Goose” moving forward again. I cut the 49gm/m2 glass cloth to size and set it over the right side of the fuselage. Epoxy resin was applied with a mini gloss-paint roller which does a good job of getting the resin through the cloth and into the underlying structure without adding excessive weight. Hopefully tomorrow I will find a little more time to get the other side covered as well.
Attachments
Right side of fuselage covered with glass cloth.
Right side of fuselage covered with glass cloth.