• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Semi-scale ASH25

Jolly Roger

Re: Semi-scale ASH25

Post by Jolly Roger »

The primer went on a treat. It’s a funny thing primer, you buy nice quality stuff, apply it with great care, then spend hours trying to rub most of it off. I was pretty happy with the finish though, which had removed all trace of sandpaper scratches and evidence of pinholes.
Attachments
AD5A1891-5E77-46CD-834F-A03E608CF6FF.jpeg
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

And next...one of the very few modelling jobs that still fills me with fear...spraying topcoat.

This time I would get it right. I would mask the model meticulously. I would hoover all dust from my workshop with forensic rigour. I would avoid overspray by making a screen. I would prewarm my rattlecan in hot water. I would shake the can vigorously until my arm ached. I even sat myself comfortably on a plastic box so I could focus on applying those even coats from 20cm.

It was all going so well. I sat back to admire that gleaming, run-free finish I have long dreamt about. And with a loud bang the plastic box under me exploded into bits, I fell backwards and deftly kicked the gleaming fuselage into the curtains. Ruined it is, ruined. I’ll have to wait until it dries then rub it down and start over. With a stronger seat.
Attachments
DB513A2F-86F2-4AF3-9484-271AF1F1BA54.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Roger,
Best laid plans!! Should have passed on that extra helping at lunch :D :D
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I feel for you Roger. My painting adventures usually come to an equally sticky, albeit perhaps less painful, end. For example:
http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/model ... lcano.html

Trevor
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I'm with you on the spraying gloss thing Rog. I've never done an aircraft which didn't need a rub-back and respray at some point in the finishing. Tough luck mate!
Brian.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Thanks for your commiseration gents! It somehow helps knowing I’m not the only one struggling with spraying.
The annoying thing is that I had, momentarily, achieved that mirror finish I’ve long hankered for.

Never mind, I consoled myself by flying gentle laps around our field as the sun set with my little Hangar 9 Taylorcraft, my first fly since lockdown. I keep forgetting how much sheer fun you can have with small models on a calm day. Why do we build such big heavy expensive models again? ;)

Meantime the painted fus has sun bathed all day so will hopefully harden off and sand back reasonably well.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Rog, you're just a beginner when it comes to disasters, I could tell you stories that would make your toes curl! :lol: :roll:
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

He told me, and my toes are still curled......

:shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Can any of you beat this disaster of mine?

I had just finished my latest pride and joy.The massive (to a 10year old boy) KeilKraft Topper.It was as I remember a massive 40" wing span. I had just that day finished it in British racing green dope brushed on. With fine lines of gold flash also brushed on running under the cockpit and down to the tail which was a 'V' tail. My colour scheme left a little to be desired but I was only 10. In those days I would use every penny of my pocket money and birthday money buying the needs to finish my latest and of coarse my best project to date. After putting it all together to show it off to the visiters at the family tea get together I took it into my mothers 'best' room and nestled it onto her settee befor returning to the party. :) A little later my elder brother who had just taken a new girlfriend began a play fight with her, and she making a girly scream ran off. The rest of us stayied at the party and the tea table. Brother came back into the room and beckoned me out, He took me into the best room where my pride and joy was re-kitted into many many bits of broken balsa on the floor. He had chased this girl into the darkend room and play thrown her onto the settee and my model Ahhaaaaaa. :cry: :cry:
With the remenesing of this story and while you all have a chuckle I'm going to find a darkend corner somwhere and have a cry. :x
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Oh Terry I feel your pain. It somehow made it worse knowing where the story was going! We should start a thread of people’s biggest modelling bloopers. It would be much more interesting than this thread!

Actually one of my bloopers would be when I maidened this model 20 years ago. I was so wowed by its speed and agility that I outside looped it on its first flight, the canopy popped off followed by the battery and I watched as my new free flight model carved a neat parabola into the hillside. Amazingly the Kevlar held the fuselage together and it just had a few scratches to the paintwork.