• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

PIK20 (another one)

mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

PIK20 (another one)

Post by mjcp »

My (somewhat tatty) PT PIK20 suffered a jammed spoiler over the summer, so I have been refurbing the wing. The original covering appears to be 40 year old gloss house paint, direct to the wood skin... It was yellowed and lacking in shine anyway, then I had to go hunting for the Bowden to see where the jam was.

Turns out it was a break in the spoiler mechanism, not the Bowden, but surgery was required either way. Here's a few pics of the process.

Playing "hunt the Bowden" - It isn't under the wing :-(
IMG_1013.jpeg

Ah, here it is, on the top of the wing...
IMG_1016.jpeg

Spoiler removed and disassembled, ready to rebuild. I suspected the Bowden had detached or broken, but it was actually he clevis (old and plastic).
A new metal one was soldered to the cable and the spoiler removed for a refit - its nice and tight (as in free of play, rather than full of friction!), ready for another 20 years of action.
IMG_1021.jpeg

Lower damage caused playing "hunt the Bowden" refilled with foam, ready to be reskinned.
IMG_1134.jpeg

Original covering has the appearance of old gloss paint!
IMG_1147.jpeg

100g of covering removed.
IMG_1295.jpeg

Replacing the glass reinforcement at the root - well wetted glass
IMG_1282.jpeg

..and "dried" via the "Kitchen paper" method...
IMG_1283.jpeg

Top surface glassed
IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1574.jpeg

The spoilers have since been freed from their glassing and retract to a nice smooth surface.

Next steps will be to lightly smooth and then spray fill, knock back / 2 pack top coat / seal etc.

Then I guess I should do the other wing!
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
terry white

Re: PIK20 (another one)

Post by terry white »

Nice one Mark, I loved My Pic 20 from Pat some many years ago now ,certainly worth you giving it another lease of life.
I remember travelling down to Weston Super mare to pick it up from Pat just before Christmas, then giving it to my wife who wrapped it up and put it under the tree as my present. Oh how young we were then. :roll:
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Great repair Marc! It's a lovely feeling when an old airframe gets a new lease of life.

For inspiration, here are some photos of a Pik 20 that soared above our house last Summer.
Attachments
P1050271.JPG
P1050272.JPG
P1050273.JPG
mjcp

Post by mjcp »

The garage is a bit cool at the moment, so the office will work as a warm flat place to cure the epoxy. (Once its 24hrs+ it goes into the airing cupboard, vertically for another day or two to "fully" cure ready for sanding)
IMG_1589.jpeg

Rubbed down and then a coat of spray filler in the make shift spray booth.
IMG_1597.jpeg

Some more rubbing, followed by another base/filler coat and more rubbing. Contrasting colours of base/filler are handy for showing highs/lows and gauging depth of sanding.

Not sure I'll go to the extremes of smoothing over the spar (dark grey area) but the control surfaces will be very smooth!
IMG_1609.JPEG
IMG_1610.JPEG
IMG_1611.JPEG
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
mjcp

Post by mjcp »

The wing refub is pretty much done now, time to start the next!

Rust-oleum rattle can base and gloss white topcoats have given a pretty good finish, certainly good enough for car transport and slope use!

One of the base or top coats curing in boiler cupboard
IMG_1681.jpeg

Top coat on.
IMG_1683.jpeg

Only 100g weight gain over the original. (It now has a top and bottom layer of 25g/m glass / epoxy, plus paint)
IMG_1695.jpeg

Side by side with its pair...
IMG_1694.jpeg
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
mjcp

Post by mjcp »

The PIK20 refurb continues, the other wing is in a primed and sanded state waiting for a dry, warmer, less windy day to put a base coat on.

Meanwhile the fuse is receiving some attention. Its arrival state was "tatty" as evidenced by the yellowed wings above. The fuselage has apparently been a boom of three (or more :shock:) parts at some point(s) in its life. The repairs are solid, but highly visible and the cover-up job rather lacking.

How many shades of white (and yellow)?
IMG_0878.jpeg

The boom was/is bandaged!
IMG_1880.jpeg

some elbow grease on the "bandage", a skim of epoxy and some more elbow grease...
IMG_1888.jpeg

Its starting to blend. The epoxy skim gives a surface to match the rest and the notch of the boom to bandage junction is smoothed. If it ends up in a pile sometime later, a new fuse will be acquired. This is one for the slope, not the show.
IMG_1892.jpeg
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

You have made a very nice job of the wings Marc. You shouldnt notice that extra 100gm when airborn.
Brian. :)