• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

EON Olympia 419

B Sharp

Re: EON Olympia 419

Post by B Sharp »

I decided to do a paint test on the Diacov covering to see how well it takes paint. I sprayed the already covered tailplane parts with a couple or coats of “rattle can” white primer. I then sprayed them with one mist coat and then two flow coats of “rattle can” white gloss. This was all done outdoors, over the course of 3 days, then left 24 hours to set.

I am very pleased with the final finish. The covering took the paint very well and coverage was good. The gloss white has settled to a semi-gloss finish which looks much better than a very shiny finish on a vintage style aeroplane.
I now have the first piece of the “Wild Goose” completely finished.

All in all, the jobs a good-un.

Brian. :D
Attachments
Fully finished and painted tailplane.
Fully finished and painted tailplane.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have spent the last few days sanding back all the areas that I had covered with the Big Boy filler. I didn’t lay it on thick, just a skim coat to take up the dents, patches and repairs. S selection of 60, 80 and 120 grit on my sanding blocks took the filler down nicely and I am pleased with the finish. It is not perfect by any means, but that is the whole point. I want the final finish to still have a bit of its original character including a few humps and bumps.

I am still waiting for my new servos to appear from Hobby King and that is holding up much more progress on the fuselage. I decided to tidy up the cockpit interior so I have lined out the sides with 0.8mm ply sheeting between the formers. This doesn’t weigh much and it will lift the appearance of the cockpit.

Yeah! My servos arrived at lunchtime so I am now in a position to get on with new control runs.

Brian. :D :D :D
Attachments
Fuselage almost ready for covering.
Fuselage almost ready for covering.
Tidying up the cockpit.
Tidying up the cockpit.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Nice job & clean bench as usual Brian :D
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

WHIch servos are you using Brian??

BC
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Corona DS238mg and DS538mg. I have used them before and they are all still working perfectly.
Brian.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Today has been painting wings day. Luckily the weather here has been perfect for spraying outdoors, warm, dry and still. I am using gloss white rattle cans over a white primer base coat. The underside of the wing received a mist coat followed by a good flow coat and they look ok. The upper surface got a mist coat and two flow coats and look very good. The Diacov covering material bubbled up in a couple of places but I laid on a barrier sheet and then went over the bubbles with a medium heat iron and all was well.

Between coats of paint I decided to amuse myself with manufacturing a new seat for Oliver. If he tried to sit in the existing one he would get splinters in his derriere as it was looking very much the worse for wear. A couple of hours later I had a brand new seat based on John’s original and no more splinters for Oliver. It is held in place with a couple of powerful magnets.

The original instrument panel was ok, just bespattered with blue spray paint and covered in the grime of years. A quick clean up and a new coat of mat black paint worked wonders. All very satisfying.

Brian.
Attachments
Wing painting in the garden
Wing painting in the garden
The origonal seat and instrument panel.
The origonal seat and instrument panel.
A new seat for Oliver.
A new seat for Oliver.
The tidyed up panel.
The tidyed up panel.
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Will it be ready for its maiden flight at Sherlowe on the 31stJuly / 1stAugust Brian?
Be a good time for Paul W to see it as well as the rest of us.

John M
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Paul is suffering from a kidney stone at present, he may not be able to make it.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

John, that's not going to happen. I am rushing to get the wings painted at the moment as I can get it done outside in near perfect conditions. However that still leaves a lot to be done on installation and surfaces.
The fuselage still has a lot of work to be completed before I can even paint.
I am going to be very busy in August/September so I think it will be October before the Goose is completed.

Sorry to hear that Paul is poorly. Kidney stones are very painful.

Brian.
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Ok Brian - we'll look forward to seeing it at the October Sherlowe meeting then!
I spoke to Paul last night Cliff and he is fully intending to come to Sherlowe if he possibly can.