• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

!/4 Scale Slingsby Sky

Barry_Cole

Re: !/4 Scale Slingsby Sky

Post by Barry_Cole »

I have

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

That's good news Barry!

I have sent you an email with details of what I would like.

Many thanks
Mike
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I think you have gotten off lightly there Mike. There doesn't seem to be very much to fix before you have a very nice old aeroplane to fly.
Brian.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Mike F wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:06 That's good news Barry!

I have sent you an email with details of what I would like.

Many thanks
Mike
Working on it...

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Brian

Yes Brian, compared with your full restoration mine is a light refreshment.

I have spent most of my time researching the past life of XA876 and trying to find the construction drawing for this 1/4 scale version of it. One or two of my current club members remember one of the earlier owners of the model, but cannot confirm if he built or flew it.

The some jobs I have to do on the airframe are:

Repair some of the joints on the airframe fuselage that have shrunk of moved. the original joints were butt jointed rather than chamfered some gaps and split are appearing. these are mainly around the nose and wing root section of the fus. Some examples are shown below.
Joint Opening on Nose
Joint Opening on Nose
Joint Opening near Wing Root
Joint Opening near Wing Root
These will be repaired using a filler on the exterior and a fillet of epoxy and micro-balloons on the inside. The fus is large enough for me to get access to the joints that need repair.

On one of the wings, which I think may be covered in light weight nylon, the fabric is lifting along the aileron mounting spar (rear spar). I don't know the paint type used but may try some PVA gentle heat reseal this area. it's difficult to get a good photo of the problem.
Fabric Joint Lifting
Fabric Joint Lifting
There are a few other dings and scuffs that need attending to. I don't want to repaint or recover the model at the moment.

I believe the model is about 30 years old. It certainly looks flown. The structural condition is very good as is the build quality. the split ailerons are activated by a push pull system from a pair of bell cranks, as is the elevator and rudder, all have minimal play.

I will install an aerotow release and add a few other details missing at the moment eg pitot tube assembly, pilot's seat and as you see, Barry will cut some new decals to complete the look.

If anyone knows of 1/4 scale plans for this type I would like to hear from you. The John Watkins and JIm Owens version have been ruled out.

Regards
Mike
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Hi Mike. If you sand and fill the cracks on the fuselage they will be very visable and I suspect that you will end up having to repaint the whole fuselage at least. It would be wise to find out what paint has been used so that you dont get a reaction to the new coat of paint over the old. As for the other blemishes I would leave them alone and call it the patina of age.
Brian. :)
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Brian

Yes, I agree with you regarding the paint. I will, eventually, try a few solvents on the skid to see which, if any react with the paint. also, since access to the interior is good, I may fully line the fuselage from wing root forward with glass cloth and epoxy, rather than applying an epoxy/micro balloons fillet. If it works well I may leave the external finish until the model has been flown.

To get a bit more aileron movement I need to remove some material from the aluminium aileron horns, this will give a little more aileron rotation. At full, but limited deflection, the horns foul on the rear wing spar. I think I can do this without removing the ailerons. At least I hope so because I can't see the hinges at all.

Mike
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Brian

Yes, I agree with you regarding the paint. I will, eventually, try a few solvents on the skid to see which, if any react with the paint. also, since access to the interior is good, I may fully line the fuselage from wing root forward with glass cloth and epoxy, rather than applying an epoxy/micro balloons fillet. If it works well I may leave the external finish until the model has been flown.

To get a bit more aileron movement I need to remove some material from the aluminium aileron horns, this will give a little more aileron rotation. At full, but limited deflection, the horns foul on the rear wing spar. I think I can do this without removing the ailerons. At least I hope so because I can't see the hinges at all.

Mike
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Paul

Thanks for posting the photos of John's Slingsby Sky.

Do you have any information relating to the aileron throws for his model?

Many Thanks
Mike
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

My attention has turned again to the Slingsby Sky.

Looking for colour matched pain to complete the cosmetic repairs the the fuselage and flying surfaces.

Also, trying to replicate the 1950's cockpit details based on some photos and details from S&G magazine articles.

Progress photo below:
Slingsby Sky Cockpit.jpg