If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

CAA Compliance Queries

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Barry_Cole

Re: CAA Compliance Queries

Post by Barry_Cole » 08 Nov 2019, 12:48

Whist they may be able to stop you flying from their land, as far as I know, they cannot stop you flying over their land. As long as you do it within the law.

We do not own the airspace over our land.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 08 Nov 2019, 12:57

Again, I quote from their website.

Why don’t you allow drones to fly at National Trust sites?

"Few non-commercial users have the correct training or permission from the Civil Aviation Authority to operate drones and should a drone cause damage or harm, pilots generally do not have the correct insurances to compensate those affected. Drones should not be flown over people and as much of our land is open access we cannot guarantee an area is ever completely empty. Drones should not be flown near property and the special nature of our properties makes the risk of damage more severe. Some sites may have wildlife or agricultural animals which could be affected by the presence of drones. Many drones have cameras attached and these could infringe data protection laws (filming people without permission) and potentially could contravene National Trust rules on commercial photography and filming. We, therefore, do not allow drone flying from or over National Trust land except by contractors commissioned by the Trust for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions."

Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams » 08 Nov 2019, 13:21

I earlier raised the question about where those without an A,B,C now stand.
Yes I realised that we would probably have to take the CAA test but I really wanted to know the implications.
Brian Sharp has been informed that by taking the CAA test you permanently sign away the right to fly above 400ft and obviously that's serious.
Of course that information has not yet been confirmed officially but until it has, I suggest those affected should wait.
Remember this is clumsy legislation written by people who don't know and don't care - so don't bet on being able to change your registration later.

In terms of being able to fly over land without permission, its all well and good until something goes wrong.
Your insurance will probably cover you if didn't have permission but where flying is expressly forbidden, I cannot see you have a leg to stand on.
As far as I know the point hasn't been tested in law - who wants to be the first ?

In terms of walking to a launch point along a public footpath (as a former rights of way professional) there is no case law as to whether a model is a 'usual acompanyment' i.e. something any member of the public could reasonably expect to take with them on a footpath. However you wouldn't stand a hope in hell arguing the point in court.

Paul

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 08 Nov 2019, 13:24

Thanks for that Paul.

terry white

Post by terry white » 08 Nov 2019, 19:12

Sorry Barry,
but we do all own a certain amount of the air space above and the earth below our owned land. Many many years ago this was reckoned to be as far as he heavens above and below as far as the center of the earth. However in more modern times the law said it to be As high above and low below as to enable the property owner to work and play unhindered by others,(more or less) and there are a number of court cases to make a precedent to that. It is somewhat agreed that there is no fixed figure of ownership height, and it does seem to differ depending in which area you live in, but 500ft is often mentioned as being reasonable.
Therefor if one is proposing to launch from a footpath and then fly over adjoining 'no go' property one could be taken to court by the land owner. :cry: :cry:

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 08 Nov 2019, 19:32

I stand corrected....

BC

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 08 Nov 2019, 19:43

Barry_Cole wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 19:32
I stand corrected....

BC
Not so you would notice! :lol: :lol:

MDev

Post by MDev » 08 Nov 2019, 22:47

From the horses mouth, the LMA are undecided about what to do about exams and registering, they await their AGM.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 09 Nov 2019, 11:25

The BMFA has launched a new website with all the info you need including a page to print off your exemption cert to keep with you.

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/

MDev

Post by MDev » 09 Nov 2019, 12:27

There is nothing on the BMFA website that says we can only fly at height if the dres exam and registration is taken with them, the only bit you get is to wait until 31st January 2020 until doing so.

M