• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wing section for an electric soarer ?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Paul_Williams

Wing section for an electric soarer ?

Post by Paul_Williams »

A lack of westerlies is driving me towards flat field electric soaring, so I have urgent need of something suitable and scale.
I have several projects in mind but I want a quick fix asap and have an untouched ASW19/20 fuselage of uncertain provenance, probably to the Mike Trew plans ??? The wing section is pretty dated and I was looking for suggestions for wing sections suitable for thermalling from the flat.
The exisiting moulded-in root section would have to be blended into the new wing.
Construction would be balsa or a commercially cut foam wing. Motor in nose for hand launch (although I wouldn't do that with a pre-war type :o )
Paul
Robcrad

Re: Wing section for an electric soarer ?

Post by Robcrad »

Hi Paul,
The F3 RES thermal models use sections such as AG24, might be worth having a look at something like that. There is a good range of these models at a company called hyperflight, you can see the plans to look at the sections.
Regards
rob
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

Hi Rob,
apparently a lot of interest in this subject but yours is the first response.
I will certainly have a look at your suggestion - almost anything I use will need to be thickened, as I am trying to marry it to the section moulded onto the ASW20 fuselage with a minimum of blending, HQ sections have also been suggested and fit quite well in that respect.
I'm still pondering !
Paul

SP250

Post by SP250 »

Scale model - HQ section every time. See Mr Williams.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

I'm a little late with my response because I have been waiting until I have 20 hours of flying with my latest build, which is a Skylark 2 built from the Keith Humber plan.

I changed the wing section to SD3021 and have been very pleased with the model's flying characteristics. Good soaring, reasonable penetration into any breeze and no vices in the stall. The section on the plan looked OK for a good slope but maybe not so good for my flat field flying

If my memory is correct SD3021 is the section on my 2.5m Algebra.

David Wilcock
Steve-827

Post by Steve-827 »

Paul,
Having read your thread regarding the Mike Trew ASW20. I built a 20 in the early 90’s, nice model and flew very well but rather heavy. With regards to changing the aerofoil, I recommend any of the HQ series of aerofoils or even HQW (Flaps), Chris Williams have been using HQ series of aerofoils for a number of years with great success. HQ Helmut Quabeck http://www.hq-modellflug.de/. The tip chord on the ASW20 is very narrow, you will need a aerofoil will work at the lower end of the drag/lift curve (Reynolds numbers). Even the AG range of aerofoils are very good, just watch the narrow aerofoils chords.