• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

K8b 6 mtr self launch success

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Euan Galloway

K8b 6 mtr self launch success

Post by Euan Galloway »

After watching a modified K8 fly at our recent club event I pulled mine out of the loft and have added the required extra spars and shear webbings, Today I test flew it and can report it all went rather well using my Shedology plug in pylon system.
I have just short of 5000 watts on 12 s lipo and only required quarter stick to climb with the take off from my dolly in under 30 mtrs on full power :D .
I have a small issue with my folding prop and the pylon will need a bit of extra strength but really happy with what is the largest electric model I have flown .
cheers Euan.
ps I will upload some flying shots when they arrive
Attachments
K8 self launch success 003.JPG
K8 self launch success 002.JPG
K8 self launch success 005.JPG
Cliff Hannam

Re: K8b 6 mtr self launch success

Post by Cliff Hannam »

Well done Euan, pleased to see your efforts have proved succesful.

A worthwhile project that I followed with interest!

Regards,

Cliff
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

That's nearly 6.5 HP, more than my tug produces. It should go up like a rocket.....

:) :) :) :)

BC
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

I had a rethink on just how much power I needed to safely fly my K8 as my original pod had 5000 watts .
I have made a new pod with 2700 watts from a turnigy 6364 245 kv motor on 10s lipo with a 19x12 prop that I test flew yesterday , still plenty of power to climb and take off from the launch dolly :D
I hope to try it without the dolly next week at Sandhays ,
cheers Euan.
glidermalc

Post by glidermalc »

With that sort of power available it would make a good tug!
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

I took the K8 to the Sandhays event and had several good flights over the weekend, the model takes off without the dolly in around 50 feet and my folding prop worked without damage :D .
I got some photos taken in flight from Stuart Cranage who kindly uploaded them ,thanks again>
cheers Euan.
Attachments
k8 at Sandhays 2015 009.JPG
k8 at Sandhays 2015 005.JPG
k8 at Sandhays 2015 007.JPG
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

After several enquires about how I made the pylon and what motor etc I used ,
The motor is a Turnigy 6364 245 kv on 10s lipo with an Aeronaut cam 19x10 prop giving approx. 2700 watts.
The main body is a 80mm cardboard tube and either a Mc Donalds or a Burger King drinks lid at one end and a 3 inch carbon spinner at the other<Burger King lids are better > the motor mount is an alloy spinner back plate bonded in with Hysol epoxy .
The mast part was from a NHP carbon heli blade filled with hysol to give it a bit of strength after running the motor wires through it .
Both the outside and inside of the cardboard tube has been glassed with cloth but using polyester resin <as I have lots of it > a ply plate was also bonded inside to locate the heli mast .
The blades have a small brass plate at each root to stop them folding too far back and work well in flight using the brake setting on the esc , I also have used the slow start function as without the blades will hit the pylon before opening :oops: after testing at Sandhays I have given mine a final coat of paint ready for its next outing
cheers Euan.
Attachments
Ecolift mk 111 2700 006.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 005.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 001.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 002.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 003.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 004.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 007.JPG
Ecolift mk 111 2700 008.JPG
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

well it was all going so well ? at a local event recently my K8 sadly caught fire after my esc let all the smoke and flames out :oops: most impressive smoke display and the result was a ruined esc , rx and telementry system ,
all now sorted with a freshly painted interior new quality esc and rx etc ,
cheers Euan.
Attachments
olympia 016.JPG
olympia 017.JPG
smelly burnt K8 001.JPG
smelly burnt K8 002.JPG
smelly burnt K8 003.JPG