• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Paint underside of wing

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Phill Tadman

Paint underside of wing

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all,

Having trouble seeing a white underside glider when high.

How hard is it to repaint the white underside of a wing black and how much weight would be added to a 5m wing?

Thanks,

Phill
SP250

Re: Paint underside of wing

Post by SP250 »

I'd probably try some stick-on signmakers black vinyl. Fast and no mess, done a few models that way.
Cheap, easy to get hold of and can be removed with a hot air gun if you don't like it a lot easier than paint.

John M
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Phil, we have done quite a lot of experiments to try and overcome this problem, and without doubt the best solution is to break the wing profile up with large squares,say Dark Blue and white alternately. I have three Navy blue and three whites on one half span at full width of the wing cord. The reason why this makes it so much easier to see in the air is because all clouds etc don't have these straight lines with corners which can be easily be picked up by the eye.

As you already have the white in place all you need to do is purchase some vinyl sign material of your selected colour(dark blue or black really works well with white because of their high contrast) from your local shop and cut to fit.

Color can be changed at any time, fitting time is only a couple of hours, repairs to the wing if necessary are easy and the weight gain is negotiable.

It is something that we are all taken to doing here in the Purbecks so give it a try you have ,nothing to lose. Ter
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Thanks for the tips gents, I’ll try the vinyl.

Phill
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

hi phill I use 6in bands of dark blue vinyl about 4 of them on each wing panel. ROO :D
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

How about some photos please
Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack »

I use dark colored diamonds.....squares turned 45° Placed tip to tip along the wing underside......
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

You could also fit strobing LED lights , very bright, defiantly your plane

G
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

More good ideas, this forum is great!

Phill
Noël Rumers

Post by Noël Rumers »

...dark blue is very good!!!
I once went up to 820 m with my 5.1 m SF25 motor Falke and still could see it very well.
...but it was very small... ;)
Noël