• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Paint underside of wing

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
B Sharp

Re: Paint underside of wing

Post by B Sharp »

With regards to Roberto's question, I have tried out a number of lighting solutions. When I used to fly thermal soarers a long way away I tried out a genuine strobe lamp mounted on the underside of the fuselage. It was visible for a long way away but survived only one landing.
I have also tried bicycle led lamps mounted on the underside of each wing of a 1/4 scale model. On a bright day white lights became invisible at about 300/400 feet. Red leds were a little better, but not a lot. At 1500 ft and half mile out none of the leds were visible and of course this is when you need them most. Very dark undersides seems to be the best option.
Brian :)
Noël Rumers

Post by Noël Rumers »

...the same can be said about the paint on the underside of the wing.
If out far, the angle makes the wing very thin whatever the color.
However turning in the thermals, every once in a while, say 180° turn, you see more and also almost nothing at all.
Keep your eyes open iffff far out and "concentrate" 200%!!!
How I know...
Noël
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi guys,
as I am predominantly a slope flyer, where I get my fixes through what we can call close proximity flying where sometimes I am even looking down on my model flying fast down in the valley, this before flying back up, passing me just out front where I can see if my pilot is still wearing his glasses and that the hat still fits that my wife made him, whilst admiring my latest creation in the air. Then up in the thermal until I am at a reasonable height to turn it on it back and come through fast then up into a stall turn. Then.. ect. ect. ect........ I have to ask,
"why on earth do you want to fly so high that you cant see it.!!" :!: :!: Regards Terry
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Well said, that man........

:D :D :D :D

BC
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

The secret for Terry looking down on his model is so simple? He stands on a box

G :lol: :lol: :x :x :x :x
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Try doing all that more than once when flying on a flat field site Terry. High and wide is the way to go my man, high and wide!
Brian. :D :D :D
terry white

Post by terry white »

Vince, here's a pici of the DG800 sporting the colored squares on the underside of the wings as I mentioned. Not the best pici I agree but most of my photos are taken of the top of the model whilst on the ground. It can be seen that not a lot of work is involved in completing it and it certainly does make a difference in making the model stand out from the crowd or clouds. As mentioned I prefer dark blue for best vis. Regards Terry
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
terry white

Post by terry white »

Tell us more please Chris, like availability, power source,etc. Ter.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Chris Strong wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 22:53 I've put flashing/steady LEDs on one of my gliders - can be seen at 1,500ft - neat, Chris
I've started noticing strobe lights on the full size sailplanes above my house, typically one flash per 3 secs. Usually in the nose or fin leading edge. Eye-catching even at 2000ft.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I suspect that they would be a bit too big for our use Rog.
The strobe that I used many, many years ago was purchased on a stand at the British Nats. It comprised a U shaped glass tube attached to a circuit board which also carried a condenser. I don't remember what gas was in the tube. The whole unit was buried in the fuselage with the tube protruding below, this was encased in a clear plastic blister. The whole unit was powered by a 9 volt rectangular battery. You had to be very careful when handling it as the condenser would give you a really severe belt.
As I said earlier it could be seen about 3/4 mile out, flashing every 5 seconds or so but it was completely wiped out on the first landing.
If someone could point me in the direction of a small, reliable, high vis LED unit I would be happy to use it in my models.
Brian. :)