• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Planning a workshop

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Phill Tadman

Planning a workshop

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all,

Building stuff on the kitchen table is a bind and with the mess I make my wife has agreed that I need a workshop.

I’m thinking of putting a 5x3x2.5 log cabin type structure in the garden.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Thanks

Phill
John Vella

Re: Planning a workshop

Post by John Vella »

Phil, l moved last year and had a new workshop. What ever you do build the largest you can fit or afford. Mine is 15ft × 10ft and is tight for building and storage. Large door 6ft×3ft for extracting large models with high walls over 7ft to eaves for wall storage on 3 walls. Double windows over a 10 ft building table, and plenty of power points and good LED lighting. Take your time to fully insulate and line the inside of the frames. My workshop has a vapour barrier on the inside with a 20mm gap then 50mm Kingspan and 5mm ply inner skin. Secondary glacing panels which are removable in Summer. An extractor fan is useful and oil filled electric heating is quite adequate to keep the background temperature comfortable. The effort and expense is well worth it for your 'Manshed ' Regards John.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Excellent advice above. You're lucky to be able to start from scratch - many have to make do with a spare bedroom. :)

I would echo the size thing. My 3.2m x 8m workshop looked cavernous until I moved in all the workbenches, tools, and the real killer - all the models that needed storing in it. Ideally store them elsewhere that's warm and dry and then they'll avoid the inevitable dust too.

Plenty of powerpoints and lighting has been mentioned too.

One other point - you need at least a 4m wide workshop if you plan to fit a central walkaround bench in addition to side benches... a real luxury I know but one that makes working on models so much easier.

I suspect though that no matter how big you make it, a workshop will always be just a bit too small.

Hope you really enjoy whatever you end up with.
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

All good stuff. A lot must depend on budget?? One way to save money (which may mean a larger shed is possible) is to go second-hand. Check out ebay and Gumtree - both can filter searches for distance. If you do look at this, remember to search on 'shed' and 'garage' and 'log cabin' and 'summer house' as any of those might get you what you want. It is a pain to dismantle, transport and erect something but can save a load (shed load?) of cash - I have got 8' x 4' sheds for next to nothing on gumtree. Of course cash may well not be a problem...
Martynk

Post by Martynk »

For longevity, consider pressure treated wood if you can afford it. Typically, this will double the cost.
Get the highest roof you can find - if nothing else it makes a useful storage area but gives you rotational space
Consider the North facing side and how you will keep damp away. Leave space all round so you can maintain it
Extend the eaves by 12" to rain water run off is well away from the sides. I used Corrugated roofing but watch out for wasps and bees nesting in there. TBH Bees are OK, wasps are a B****y nuicance
Foundations. Mine is built on thick 2x2 concrete slabs and that has been OK but make sure that water can run off
My Shed is 13x8, its not big enough. I would go 18x12 if my wife would let me. I would prefer meters rather than feet but that would be silly.
Go for the thickest wood planking you can get. Mine are 1" and are adequate
Try to store your favourite models in a less hostile environment - loft, Garage etc, Spare Room.
I keep an oil filled heater on full time in winter with a thermostat set to about 4 degrees C - just to stop anything freezing up inside
Double glaze your windows using proper glass panels
Think Security and Fire prevention
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Depending upon the size you go for, don't fall foul of the planning permission issues - max height, floor area, volume and how close to your boundary, own house etc..

John M
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Don't get carried away with size... the SF25 C-Falke is one of the largest models I have built in my workshop. The workshop measures 2.5 x 2 meters
(It also boasts the luxury of en-suite bog and central heating!)
Attachments
DSCF0017 copycopy.jpg
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Thank you all for your very useful tips!

I’ve measured out the space available and can probably get a 6 * 3 * 2.5 log cabin in.

Unfortunately it will face north, but will get big windows (with shutterboards) and doors as suggested.

Phill
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

chris williams wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 19:53 Don't get carried away with size... the SF25 C-Falke is one of the largest models I have built in my workshop. The workshop measures 2.5 x 2 meters
Chris,

For a moment I thought it was your fantastic model that had a bog and central heating!

Phill
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Phill Tadman wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 21:32
chris williams wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 19:53 Don't get carried away with size... the SF25 C-Falke is one of the largest models I have built in my workshop. The workshop measures 2.5 x 2 meters
Chris,
For a moment I thought it was your fantastic model that had a bog and central heating!
Phill
The "bogs" are standard in all CW's models, have you seen the way he flies them??

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC