• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Planning a workshop

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Planning a workshop

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Now we know how Chris gets his pilots to avoid “brown trousers”. :D :D :D
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Phil, it might be worth considering the Planning rules before planning your workshop.
The following makes your outbuildings exempt from Planning Permission. If the building is less than 2m from boundary the max overall height is 2.5m. If the building is more than 2m from boundary the max Eave height is 2.5m with a max overall height of 4m. To conform No living accommodation or external antennas .
No more than 50% of the land area around the original house to be taken by the outbuildings. The Outbuilding not closer to the road or public highway than the original house itself.
Note Garden Buildings over 30sqm internal size will need Building Regulations. Regards John.
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

Phil

Any good suppliers of these type of buildings will know the planning regs inside out and be able to advise. When we moved I had a new workshop put up which measures 3m wide and 8.7mtrs long and falls within planning regs. Its basically a pent roofed garage that is extended lengthways. It has double doors on one end and a side access door. Also a long run of windows. It stands on a concrete base with a floating insulated floor, walls and roof insulated and lined with 10mm OSB. I got hold of an old kitchen so have a run of base units and used new worktops from B & Q at £40 each. Once I can tempt the electrician to come back the electrics will finally be finished and I can get on with using it.

Pat
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Don't forget to have adequate ventilation in the workshop. you do not want an "airtight" structure as this can cause mold and condensation problems. Also, invest in a small dehumidifier and keep it running on low all the time. This will control the moisture content of the air in the workshop and prevent problems regardless of the temperature.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

David, wow where to start? Well here goes. Building Regs for Outbuildings are required with internal area of more than 30 sq m. If your building is closer than 2m from boundary your max height is 2.5 m . Mine has a 11deg shallow pitched roof to accommodate the max internal volume without the need for planning permission.
Vents are roof level at the pitch ends to allow air flow from small vents through the roof insulation ( 50mm Kingspan) to flow in the 20mm gap to the ends.
On the basic structure my frame is 75mm×50mm. The cladding is heavy duty 18
mm tongue and grove, then breathable membrane , 20mm air gap, 50mm Kingspan and finally 5mm ply screwed to the frame (removable to access electrical cables).
This set up has no condensation issues and is very cosy in Winter with oil filled electric heating and an extractor fan in the Summer. I thought double glazing was over the top and I think removable secondary glazing works well.
On fire precautions I have professionally installed electrics with RCB protection. A very large Powder Extinguisher is wall mounted by the door. All fuel ,solvents etc are stored in a shady secure area outside. Battery charging is a potential fire hazard. Maybe you should have the best system you can afford and don't leave Lipos unattended. I keep Lipos in Ammo boxes.
Your 6k figure sounds about right. I had the building built to my exact requirements and did the fitting out myself and came to a figure very close to yours. Good luck with project, regards John.
Tonyh

Post by Tonyh »

Check out the Eaa 1000 workbench plans. can be made modular or to whatever spec. you want .I would say getting the right hight is a must ,remembering to add the wheel hight.
T.
Tonyh

Post by Tonyh »

Forgot to add. have you done the lighting yet ,if not, look at the LED light panels, put these in mine, They light as soon as the switch is thrown and a very good light source.