• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

2.4 problems?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
terry white

Re: 2.4 problems?

Post by terry white »

Yeh Eric, have you got it ready for Middle Wallop. :?:
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Gents, It'll be in the Glidermobile when I call to pick you up Si, at some ungodly hour on Saturday morning! :shock:
We'll just have to work out how to get the '25' and the '6' to carefully snuggle together for the journey to MW. ;)
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

chris williams wrote: 14 May 2018, 21:41 Just received this...is this a known issue?

I’m not sure if you’re aware but I had a radio problem at TH last week, which had the aircraft been airborne would have resulted in a complete loss of control and subsequent crash.

I had been flying a small electric aircraft using a Futaba 14SG transmitter and an FrSky FASST compatible receiver. No problems, green light on the receiver and aircraft behaving normally. However, just before I launched for my next flight another flyer switched on his transmitter whereupon I lost the link with my receiver. The servos went to their linear limits and froze.

Suspecting a dodgy transmitter I waited until the gentleman had left and tried again – everything fine.

I called Ripmax the following morning to find out what could have caused the problem (isn’t 2.4 bombproof?) – only to learn it’s a known situation.

Apparently, the EU introduced new regs. for 2.4 last year. Futaba brought out an update to their software to accommodate the new requirements, but in doing so, made non-futaba receivers incompatible with Futaba FASST transmissions.

Anyone using a new Futaba transmitter or with software at level 6 or later will have this problem – not good!

I’ve since tried using Multiplex and Spektrum transmitters (neither use FASST) both broke the link. Seems any 2.4 ghz transmitter will do it.

Particularly worrying as the non-futaba receiver will appear to bind correctly and function as normal, but the link is not secure. Anyone switching on a 2.4 transmitter nearby will shoot you down

Although aware of the problem, Futaba/Ripmax have not made any announcement – they don’t consider it their problem ‘if you stick with genuine Futaba radios you’re safe’ – so it seems it’s up to us to spread the word.
Oh dear. Sounds like the EU in a nutshell, introduce some stupid new regs and kill everything that existed before!

I was thinking of upgrading my old 8FG to nice shiny new 14SG, in order to keep compatibility with my older FAAST receivers, looks like thats now out the windows. Thanks EU!
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

jimbo wrote: 19 May 2018, 16:55
Oh dear. Sounds like the EU in a nutshell, introduce some stupid new regs and kill everything that existed before!

I was thinking of upgrading my old 8FG to nice shiny new 14SG, in order to keep compatibility with my older FAAST receivers, looks like thats now out the windows. Thanks EU!
Not really, if they are genuine Futaba receivers they will work just fine, Futaba engineered their update to with all existing Futaba receivers, if you have old Frsky Fasst Rxs then they will need an update. The only system which couldn't be made compliant to these regs was the Spektrum DSM2 protocol. But even then the newer Spektrum DSMx receivers will work with older DSM2 transmitters (but not the other way round).

The regs weren't made for us by the way but all users of the 2.4 band to improve it's share-ability.In some other countries where standards are less stringent, RC users are reporting some systems are affected by high power 2.4 wifi type systems.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

FrankS wrote: 19 May 2018, 22:31
jimbo wrote: 19 May 2018, 16:55

Not really, if they are genuine Futaba receivers they will work just fine, Futaba engineered their update to with all existing Futaba receivers, if you have old Frsky Fasst Rxs then they will need an update. The only system which couldn't be made compliant to these regs was the Spektrum DSM2 protocol. But even then the newer Spektrum DSMx receivers will work with older DSM2 transmitters (but not the other way round).

The regs weren't made for us by the way but all users of the 2.4 band to improve it's share-ability.In some other countries where standards are less stringent, RC users are reporting some systems are affected by high power 2.4 wifi type systems.
The problem is i have at least 5 prolly more frsky receivers lis price £30 each.
Never had an issue with any futaba radio stuff. If it aint broke dont fix it. (Unless of course the eu tells you to of course, then its biund to break)
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I posted this on the rcgroups thread, anyone got any further comments on this?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... count=8335

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdk
Theory confirmed! That didn't take long.

Connected a FrSky (TFR6) receiver to my T14SG w. V5.0. Works fine, until TX discovers noise due to wifi or whatever it will break completely and loose synchronization constantly!

IF I then go to a remote place in my house, hold the TX antenna firmly with my hand to attenuate wifi signals, the receiver starts working. As soon as the TX detects RF signals, the receiver is confused.

So, do NOT use these crap receivers. It MAY work when you start flying, but as SOON as anyone else activate ANY 2.4GHz transmitter, you WILL CRASH.

BE WARNED - THIS WILL BRING DOWN any MODEL with these receivers!
End Quote:

Hi there, just want to make a comment or two on this. I was linked here from google, so i have not read the entire thread.
I have tried this using a few TFR4's, TFR6's and TFR8's.
I have tried on a number of these receivers (i have no idea what version of firmware receivers are running, or how old each receiver is (apart from perhaps one looking slightly newer than another).
So all of the receivers bind faultlessy to an old 8FG.
However on the 14SG, which is labelled V6.0 Firmware, the bind on the bench is intermitterent. Some bind OK, others do not. Some of the 8s, and 6s bind but all of the 4s do not. Obviosuly i am running home wifi nearby.

Questions -

1) Ive also turned on my other 8FG while testing and there doesnt appear to be any disruption of the link to the working receivers. Can i assume this is simulating the shotdown noise of the turning on another model? Can i assume that these receivers are going to work with the 14SG without issue?

2) If question 1 is yes, then is this the version of the receiver firmware at play, ie do the later FRSKYs work OK with the 14SGs and the earlier one not? Can i flash the older RXes somehow? Can i determine the version of the firmware on the FRskys somehow?
Thanks in Advance All,
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

This could be because FrSky have not updated these to comply with the latest EEC regs. Or it could be that FrSky have, and Futaba have not.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Always best to use the Same manufacturer for Tx and Rx.

Taranis rules....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
mick a

Post by mick a »

just as a side note
last week i had to take my futaba 12k transmitter in to ripmax , good service repaired while i waited .
problem was low voltage on output, it was intermittent and worked on 3 range checks, with futaba receivers i might add
as murphy’s law states as soon as plane left the ground it lost signal , plane went in and wrote off
it was a power model .
apparently it should be 3.8 volts and this was only 2.1
i was a bit p****d off to say the least but at least it’s fixed and seems to be ok now
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

You can still buy the fr sky clones at t9. My guess is they have updated the firmware to work with the new v5. 0 protocol.
If you read the rcg thread then even WiFi affects the signal of the old receivers. As it will listen before transmitting. If there's noise the old rx is still listening. The fact that some of my receivers work leads me to think that that I could flash the old ones somehow...
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

I believe the situation is unchanged and the system is fine as long as you don't update your transmitter software beyond v5 (as discussed in full on page one of this thread). Yes I know the chap says he was at V5 but I don't believe it based on my own experience. All my gliders are functioning perfectly with Futaba's usual rock solid connection and I exclusively use Frsky's receivers.

The only way I could believe that something has changed would be if Futaba had gone back and changed the v5 software to the EU version - I suppose it is vaguely possible but I would have thought unlikely. Either way, I will never "upgrade" my transmitter software and therefore should never have a problem.

If someone insists on having the EU Futaba software I believe you can update the Frsky receivers to work with it (Eric knows a chap who does the update service) but I won't be doing that personally.

Simon