• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wasserkuppe Trip.

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Wasserkuppe Trip.

Post by VinceC »

PM sent
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Sorry, sent it to Antonia. Doh! New PM to you
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hi Vince, a nice mistake to make, the Wasserkuppe is a "bucket list" place I want visit too in time, hope you have great time Anthony, please report back :)
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

It's pretty much the best place in the world for a glider modellers.

The museum has to been seen in all its glory. Allow at least half a day for it. The main full size site is very close to the museum. Watch out for the tow lines which the tugs drop as they pass over the start line.

The model flying sites are a bit more remote and depend on wind direction but always a pleasant walk.

Ian
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The Schleicher glider factory is also close. In the past used to have factory tours. Not sure if that is still the case.
I had one when they still made the ply timber gliders like the K6E
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Surprise, surprise. A very good friend of mine, Peter Ocker, has now taken over the lead position at the Wasserkuppe. I am sure he will help you. Let me know by PM if you want his email
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Anthony wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 10:57 Just recieved an email from Ulrich at the Schleicher factory..... they are shut for the Summer.... Bummer.

He goes on to tell me that they no longer do public tours because of “past bad experience”.....makes you wonder what kind of bad experiences they have encountered.
Ant.
Anthony you do wonder how visitors upset their hosts. We got a fantastic tour by the then chief man Weibel for over 2 hours and shown everything including an ASW 22 wing being released from the mould. It was some time ago (1993). The only rule was NO photography for obvious reasons. Anyway enjoy your holiday at the Home of gliding.
Regards John.