Donation request

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Cliff Evans

Donation request

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 Aug 2018, 08:27

I feel I need to explain a few things here after receiving some I must say quite vitriolic emails from members about the email that was sent out.
Last year, we moved the site to a VPS (Virtual Private Server). With the traffic attracted by the forum it was deemed the best route to go to get the stability we need to run the website efficiently and more importantly without interruption. As it stands, the website and forum are taking up 13Gb+ of space and growing. You can see the cost for this last year in the attached invoice. This invoice is just for the hosting! And they are set like many other companies to put their prices up!

There are plugins that have been purchased to help keep the site running efficiently and safely free from spam etc. Even having paid for subscriptions to anti-spam plugins and the like it still gets through from time to time.

At present I am updating the front end of the site to try to give it a more modern look and bringing it up to today’s technology I along with the rest of the team do all of this for nothing, and it is quite obvious from some of the responses I have had that some members are against paying towards or contributing towards anything. Now I personally do not think it fair that a small percentage of members should keep this world renowned resource running for people that just do not contribute. We put plans up for free, then find them being advertised for sale somewhere. 3 view drawings by Vince being used on other sites without even a mention of where they got them from! Or indeed a thank you to the author.

When I said in the email that I were looking at making it a subscription forum I was thinking of a token subscription of £1.20 per year, I don’t think that that is unreasonable to ask but, as mentioned before, some of the emails I have received have been quite horrible! I had one email saying that he didn’t like the way the email was worded to make members feel guilty. That was an unintended consequence but it begs the question, why did he feel guilty?

If we want this site to continue then we need to work out a way of financing it in the fairest possible way to all, I feel a subscription is probably that way, and those that subscribe will have full access to everything whereas unsubscribed members would be restricted from downloading plans etc.
These are my thoughts and my thoughts alone, I dare say that there will be arguments for and against but hay, that’s life. Happy soaring.
Attachments
Invoice-349117.jpg

Simon WS

Re: Donation request

Post by Simon WS » 04 Aug 2018, 08:45

I'm one of the subscribers and in response to those complaining about your proposal to introduce a tiny subscription I ask "do they think it is fair that I and 59 other people should subsidise the non-payers?"

Therefore, I fully support say a £2 per annum subscription and if people are not prepared to pay that so be it...

Simon

P.S. You might want to edit your " world renounced recourse" to "world renowned resource" Cliff!!

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 Aug 2018, 08:54

Simon WS wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 08:45
I'm one of the subscribers and in response to those complaining about your proposal to introduce a tiny subscription I ask "do they think it is fair that I and 59 other people should subsidise the non-payers?"

Therefore, I fully support say a £2 per annum subscription and if people are not prepared to pay that so be it...

Simon

P.S. You might want to edit your " world renounced recourse" to "world renowned resource" Cliff!!
Thanks to my online spell checker "Simon"

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 04 Aug 2018, 09:04

I very much doubt that you would get enough people to pay £ 2 per year to cover the costs.

Just a thought.

BC

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 Aug 2018, 09:08

Barry_Cole wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 09:04
I very much doubt that you would get enough people to pay £ 2 per year to cover the costs.

Just a thought.

BC
You may be right Barry but, we have to look at something. As stated, some of the emails I have had have been downright nasty! I seriously thought about walking away from this altogether! but then why should I!

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins » 04 Aug 2018, 10:01

I cliff it amazing that some of us spend 1000s of £ on a glider and I know some that have them in the 5to10 grand price. Mybe even more than that but are not able to fund the forum. Roo

Martin Gough

Post by Martin Gough » 04 Aug 2018, 10:33

Cliff their are always some miserable people about with nothing better to do than moan and complain.
Please let me know how to make a contribution.
Martin.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 Aug 2018, 11:16

Not taking any more donations this year, we have got enough in the kitty to carry on when renewal comes up in November. I am just concerned with how we move on after that, it may be that people just don't wan't to pay a subscription. I just don't think it is too much to ask!

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 04 Aug 2018, 11:30

Just go with the donations, and B****r the freeloaders.

BC

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 Aug 2018, 11:41

Barry_Cole wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 11:30
Just go with the donations, and B****r the freeloaders.

BC
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: