Donation request

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
terry white

Re: Donation request

Post by terry white » 05 Aug 2018, 12:26

There are some interesting things here.
Although there are over 600 members, only 60 of us have donated which seems to be the same 60 that contribute to postings and the same 60 that are now discussing the way forward and agree in principle the need for a fairer and easier way to collect enough revenue to carry on.Meanwhile that makes 540 members that have taken the trouble to join but obviously object to paying towards their enjoyment here.
I notice that NONE of those 540 have posted here the reason why they object to paying their part of the running of this forum,which I find increadable. When we were headlong into the discussions about sustainers or not on another thread, although I completely disagreed with the opposition I was able to see that they were passionate in their reasoning and to them had a reasonable point to make. Here though No one has come forward to give good reason for them not donating or possibly subscribing.

Looking down the forum threads posted over the last few weeks I have noticed a number of contributors who regularly post on the forum but have not donated yet. Perhaps they might like to tell us why they have decided that donating is not for them.Perhaps they can tell us why they think for them others should collect the bill. I would really like to know.
I am not sure the best way forward in regards to the collection of the revenue, Perhaps leaving the donation thread open with a number of 'poke' reminders throughout the year may be prudent.This may raise a little more money but wont cure the heart of the problem. I don't think we ever will.If someone don't want to pay for something they can get for free, no talking to them will change their mind. However what ever you intend to do you have my full support.

As for giving Cliff a hard time making him feel like walking away from the job after all his hard work on our behalf is shameful and unforgivable. Cliff, please don't do that because that is not how we 60 donators feel.We are more than grateful for what you do, and that includes all the forum admin workers.
We are all behind you and to h--l with those idiots. Kind regards to you Ter.

Trevor

Post by Trevor » 05 Aug 2018, 18:58

+1 to all Terry said!

Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward » 05 Aug 2018, 20:39

donation sent.
Keep up the good work on this very enjoyable forum
Stu

MarkDev

Post by MarkDev » 05 Aug 2018, 23:03

I do consider those who do not have the confidence to speak out in public and use the forum so I think that being able to at least read it should be at a very low cost, beyond that as more is expected of the site, private messenging, downloading etc etc it should be paid for.

Worth every penny. Keep up the good work.

M

Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce » 06 Aug 2018, 13:54

I don't have any problem with your recommendations.
It's only fair!
And I do agree with Mr White's article.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 06 Aug 2018, 14:06

At the request of many, I have reinstated the donation section for the time being!

barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 » 06 Aug 2018, 17:23

I cannot find any indication of the running costs.How much money do you need per year to keep the site running ?

Barrie Burton

Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce » 06 Aug 2018, 17:44

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for all your hard work, is it possible with your computor skills to only access the forum with a code if we have contributed
By the way my name wrong colour :lol:

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 06 Aug 2018, 17:52

You still have to log in with your usual credentials mate. and there is nothing wrong with your colour or are you bragging again ;) ;)

Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden » 06 Aug 2018, 19:20

Cliff

May I suggest that the few who have sent you vitriolic emails have their membership of this site revoked. If they feel that strongly about donating a few pounds a years they really ought to consider a different hobby.
As I have donated to the website I feel strongly that you and the others who contribute so much to this website should not have to do it out of their own pockets.
Personally I have no problem at all with a yearly subscription. Keep up the good work, we are grateful for your effort ( well, most of us anyway :D :D )

Pat