• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

motor shaft for electric motors

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
mick a

motor shaft for electric motors

Post by mick a »

hi gents
does anyone know where i can get a 10mm shaft at 150mm long , as want to mount electric motor in glider and it would be better than putting motor in nose area
has anyone any ideas
thanks in advance
mick
Barry_Cole

Re: motor shaft for electric motors

Post by Barry_Cole »

Yes. I do. Will email you.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Any chance of sharing the essentials here, Barry? I was wondering about making an AV45 conversion kit for my Fauvel AV36 over the winter and, although I haven't tried to draw it up yet, may well need an extension shaft arrangement of some sort. It won't need to be 10mm diameter though!
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Trevor, Phoenix models in Devon run by Stan Yeo stock most motor extension shafts. Give him a ring and tell him I sent you. He will charge you more. :lol: :lol:

I intend shortly to make a post giving all the relevant suppliers of materials required to fit a motor with extension shafts and nose ball-races etc, along with their web sites and addresses. Probably in the sustainer thread. Ter.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Trevor wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 08:40 Any chance of sharing the essentials here, Barry? I was wondering about making an AV45 conversion kit for my Fauvel AV36 over the winter and, although I haven't tried to draw it up yet, may well need an extension shaft arrangement of some sort. It won't need to be 10mm diameter though!
For the motors that we have been using for the e-assist projects, we are replacing the 6mm shaft, to make it longer. I have been using 6mm silver steel. This is readily available on e-bay in 300mm lengths. It is a press fit in 6mm bearings, so has to be polished down very slightly to be a sliding fit in the bearings. The way it is fitted in the motor, varies from motor to motor. For your AV36, you may need longer than 300mm, this is available, but is more difficult to find. I have not bought any over 300mm as yet.

On our motors changing the shaft, requires the use of a hydraulic press, which I happened to have in stock.

The drawing I have of an AV45, shows the motor up in the cockpit area, and a long shaft, with a coupling between the motor and shaft.

Get in touch if you want more info.

BC
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Thanks Barry. I’m sure 300mm would suffice. The AV36 mine is modelled on (the one at Old Warden) has never had a motor fitted as far as I know so whatever I do won’t be true to scale anyway. I’m hoping to get away with building a modified fuselage top section so that the model can still be flown in true glider form most of the time but, if the lift is marginal, I can fit the motorised section and at least still fly it safely.

I’ll no doubt be back (in a more appropriate thread) with more questions when I get around to starting the project.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Trevor,
We are not far apart, we can always meet up for a chat.

:D :D :D :D

BC