• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

BMFA website

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Jess Nicholls

BMFA website

Post by Jess Nicholls »

Hi all has the BMFA website been hacked and is it currently down or is it something with my pc :? :?
Trevor

Re: BMFA website

Post by Trevor »

There’s been a lot of discussion on the Modelflying.co.uk forum about this. The BMFA are preparing to release a new membership portal and it is speculated that this might be behind the problems some are experiencing. I have to say the site is working fine for me at the moment.
Jess Nicholls

Post by Jess Nicholls »

The message I get is displayed below I have spoken to Eset support everything is ok there and if I take the laptop to my office it works fine there VERY frustrating. Obviously i'm not an IT expert :o :o :o

"The This site can’t provide a secure connection
bmfa.org sent an invalid response.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Jess that's exactly the message that I get. Must be their end. any one else have this problem? Ter
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Works fine for me...

BC
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

This wouldn't be an exclusively Chrome problem by any chance?
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

RobbieB wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 08:56 This wouldn't be an exclusively Chrome problem by any chance?
Works fine for me on Chrome at the moment, but as stated above this is the weekend that the big portal changes are being made at BMFA so perhaps the site will be up and down sporadically - officially the updates are due to start on Sunday at 3pm and will take "a few days" but maybe they're doing some stuff before then which is impacting people's ability to log on.

Simon
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Looks like some certificate issues. Not working on my (up to date) W10 /Chrome/Edge/IE device...

however, using a handy site tester to show the site on IE11 / W7 gives the option to proceed anyway:

W7 / IE11 test

Then, opening the cert error (red URL bar) shows the error as "This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certificate authority".
bmfa_cert.png

Google announced earlier this year that it would be blocking Symantec derived certificates from April and October (ish) this year (Symantec dropped the ball more than a few times, serves them right!). So might well be linked to this.

Might also be just poor change management: The current cert is due to expire 6th October 2018 and other posters have suggested a new portal is incoming - wouldn't be the 1st time an upgrade has taken a site down.

Marc.
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.