• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Rhossili

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Phill Tadman

Rhossili

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all

What is the minimum windspeed and direction needed for sloping a 1/4.5 ASW17 at Rhossili?

I’m here for a week with a 12mph W wind tomorrow and 14mph NW wind for a few days next week

Thanks

Phill
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Re: Rhossili

Post by mjcp »

When its W <-> SSW... Its a big hill... with NO land for 100+ miles... so a 12 mph wind at beach level is stronger on top!

12-14 should work, but you have to carry it up first...
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Phill, I know Rhossili over the years and it is a Big hill with big smooth lift in Westerlies. 12mph is plenty for your model. If you don't fancy the climb the lower sand dunes work well with plenty of sandy beach to land on. If the wind moves around to North the cliffs in front of the path to Worms Head are very good for soaring but landings can be tricky with rotor in stronger winds. The safe option we found was to walk down the path to the beach flying the model for a beach landing. I must get up there again while I can still do that climb with the glider. Have fun , Regards John.
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Hi Phil

Unfortunately 12mph is probably perfect for Paragliders so expect quite a bit of company today. They will mostly fly from the first flat on the way up the hill about 5 minutes climb after the gate down the track by the church. The best place to land is on top mid way between reaching the very top of the climb and the trig point. It's quite flat there with low heather type scrub.

You can fly from the dunes and that lift will be quite surprising, leaving you all that beach to land on (except for the walkers and only if the tide isn't in) but if you fly behind the dunes and fly the model up the hill, watch out for those Paragliders.

Flying from the top today will be amazing and if it's sunny, you can zoom down to beach level, watching out for the shadow and loop back to 200 feet above the hill.

I politely asked a group of paragliders what was the preferred way of operating together a few years ago as in all my time of going there, I had not seen as many as on that day, and I was told in no uncertain terms where to go. I would just do your own thing and keep a sharp eye out

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Thanks gents

14 mph W for a few hours this afternoon!

Phill
MDev

Post by MDev »

I flew there last autumn in 6-10knots which was more than enough for my 3.5m glider. I spoke to the parascenders on the way up, they were using the lift a long way out and staying clear of me.
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Cloud descended on Monday :(

Today is WNW 14-15 mph

Would that be ok?

Thanks

Phill
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Phill, anywhere in the Westerly direction works very well at that speed. If the wind picks up more North the lower corner in front of the cafe works well. Good flying, Regards John.
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Wind still in the wrong direction :(

Slope Hunter lists some other ridges for the expected NW wind on Friday: Five Roads Ridge and Pen Y Cwar.

Has anyone flown there?

Phill