• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

sliding windows

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
mick a

sliding windows

Post by mick a »

hi gents
just a quick qs , has anyone got any ideas how to make a sliding canopy for the minimoa or even where i can get get one , no-one seems to sell anymore
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: sliding windows

Post by VinceC »

I was working on this Doc which is the system I used on the Zephrus. If you find it needs any changes, let me know
Attachments
Canopy-sliding-windows.pdf
(45.11 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Roger-Spragg

Post by Roger-Spragg »

Yes you can still get sliding windows from TOP MODEL in the Czech Republic. I've had some. They come in 1:2.5, 1:3, 1:3.5 and 1:4 scale but check the actual size before you buy. They are larger than you may think. Not expensive and came quite quickly. See - www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&desktop=es ... _id=541kly. They take Paypal. By the way there are lots of interesting things on their site and they are not in the Euro zone!!

Good Luck!
mick a

Post by mick a »

That’s great Vince , I’m sure I can work with that.
I’ve seen the ones from Top Model, but as you say they might be larger than needed.
It seems unique for the Minimoa as it’s on the front window.
simon_t

Post by simon_t »

I have used Topmodel a bit, and always found therm very good - I use the French Topmodel, just south of Paris - may get to UK quicker than from Czech. Sliding windows: https://www.topmodel.fr/en/sliding-canopy-windows-C709

Simon
robc

Post by robc »

I'll be needing a sliding window shortly and I was planning to use my 3d printer to make the frame from clear PETG filament. For the window itself I'll probably just cut out a piece of sheet PETG but I was thinking I may have a go at printing that as well. I'll update this thread with my results, be they good or bad.

I'm more concerned about how I'm going to cut the hole in the canopy without wrecking it, I'll probably use my old canopy to practice on.

Rob
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Rob,

My preferred method is to cut out the four rounded corners first (after marking out) with an appropriate sized drill bit, in the hand, not in a drill, having first drilled a small pilot hole to guide the larger drill bit - 1.5mm is a good size.

Then securely tape a small straight edge between each corner cut-out in turn and slowly cut along from corner to corner with successive light cuts - don't rush it. The pre cut corners will help to ensure you don't go over onto the rest of the canopy. It's important to make sure your straight edge is well secured and doesn't move.