• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Mike Trew Fauvette

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
B Sharp

Re: Mike Trew Fauvette

Post by B Sharp »

It's well worth a try Stephen. The spar positions will be in the same place remember and the chord will be the same, its only the thickness that will differ. It would be worthwhile making holes in each rib for the aileron servo cable to pass through at this stage.(I forgot and had to form holes once built - tricky) Due to the wing being thinner the drawings for the over/under airbrakes will be different. You may want to consider using a set of commercial top surface brakes instead. I now only use top surface brakes on my builds as in the past I have wiped out the lower blade when landing in rough grass and heather. As I predominantly fly from the slope survivability is the key.
Brian. :)
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thanks for the encouragement Brian, it's always good to have a bit of "egging on" to maintain motivation! Yes, I think maybe it's not as big a job to change the airfoil as I first thought and I would almost certainly go for commerical brakes too. Once I have the plan I can weigh up the complexity and decide when to tackle it, I have another (possibly simpler) project in mind that I may commit to before the Fauvette.

Yes Cliff, that's what I was banking on!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Well, the plan has arrived from Sarik!

I'm now chewing over whether to cut out the parts myself or order the short kit from Sarik, which at seventy quid looks good value for the amount of work it will save. Formers in particular will be labour intensive as they are a balsa/ply laminate, so double the cutting out. Will probably not do the scale brakes, instead opting for top surface only. Which leaves the wing section - Peter, would you be able to send me the PDF of the HQ section?
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Stephen,
The HQ rib sections are attached.
There are 28 as per the MT plan, so that they go in the asame place as the original ribs.
Note that the ribs are thinner than the originals.
I stuck the paper templates onto balsa & cut around the lines ;)
Attachments
Final Wing Rib Templates.pdf
Fauvette HQ section rib templates
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Peter, very many thanks for the file, they printed off nice and crisp, much more so than the plan actually which is a little fuzzy.

Do the jigging tabs on the ribs build the washout in to the wing or does it still need additional packing as per Mike's plan instructions? I assume you produced these in 1/16" balsa as per the plan even with the large cut-outs?
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Stephen,
The HQ section doesn’t need any washout built into the wing at all - a great benefit of this range of sections.
I cannot remember what rib thickness I used, but it was almost certainly the same as the plan ribs.
Peter
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Stephen and Peter. These look pretty much right to me and they calculate out at 14% thick which should give a very reasonable performance. And yes your are also right about the washout. With that section at that thickness and camber the wing should need no washout at all.
The is now nothing to hold you back from the build! :D :D :D
Brian. :)
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thank you Peter and Brian for confirming the lack of washout, that makes life easier!

I am working my way through compiling a materials list which will be ordered from SLEC and I've decided to do everything myself rather than using the short kit, I've just bought a dremel saw so it may as well earn it's keep. I also need to organise a jig which will be either the fancy pants aluminium section or just a flat piece of timber depending on what I can find, sourcing stuff here in Hungary is not always easy.

As you say Brian there is now no excuse not to get building, I might even do a build thread on it :o
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Stephen, are you aware of the ‘Bridson’ jig, which is what I used.
Can be made from a couple of lengths of 1” or so Ali angle ( long enough for longest fuselage build), spaced apart using a few pieces of threaded rod/nuts, so that a slot is left along the top.
The slot is used to slide/secure simple DIY store angle brackets holding fuselage formers at correct height.
There were photos of the setup somewhere.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Peter, Cliff - yes that is what I referred to in my previous post as the "fancy pants jig". That would be my preferred option but it will depend if I can obtain the aluminium angle here in Hungary, if not I will use a suitable piece of timber and glue the former supports on using triangular balsa. I've seen a certain Mr Williams using this method :D