• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

It's Sticks & Stones modelling then

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
VinceC
Site Admin

It's Sticks & Stones modelling then

Post by VinceC »

I am at the end of my tether and may have to abandon my hobby after almost 70 years of building due to the incredible GREEDof postal services and couriers coupled with a large helping of Health & Safety

I ordered a half inch carbon rod with a postage of of £12, which was then updated to £50 because it was coming to the Channel Islands. I then ordered a brass wing joiner from Gliders who quoted £6.99 postage and this was then upgraded to £27. I cannot get Litho batteries because of the danger of them in the post, yet everyone is walking round with them in their pockets and I cannot get glue or paint because of Health and Safety. I feel like screaming.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................
StephenB

Re: It's Sticks & Stones modelling then

Post by StephenB »

I feel your pain Vince, I have similar problems trying to get stuff out to me here in Hungary - it's hard work!

I find a wide disparity on shipping costs, some charging much more than others for same/similar weight and size parcel, it obviously depends on the courier and I suspect some suppliers don't make much effort in sourcing the cheapest option, or their overseas sales don't fit the volumes the courier demands.

I find Hobby King are generally the best for shipping charges but they don't sell everything I need, I have a supplier in Austria (Lindinger) who I use and obviously as a near neighbour his shipping cost is sensible but he's not cheap. I like to use UK suppliers as much as possible, I've just ordered a large stock of wood (balsa, ply, spruce) from SLEC and they're charging me £35 for shipping which, compared to what you have been quoted, looks pretty good value.
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Vince, I totally agree about the rip off of "overseas" courier charges. Have you still got an LMS in St Helier, or has it gone the way of many businesses?. We used to use it when we were flying into Jersey a few years ago now. Regards John.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I am right with you Vince! Many Uk carriers charge ludicrous prices. I live 10 miles North of a city in the central belt of Scotland. I ordered a pinky-nail sized microswitch from a reputable electronics supplier, price 42 pence. Unfortunately that company only used one particular carrier (they had never heard or the post office) and they classed me as "Highlands and Islands" and charged me £24.50 to deliver a small box that would fit in my palm. If the package had been delivered to a cottage in the middle of a forest 1 mile further North the price would have been £3.75 as it is in a different post code.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Brian. :evil: :evil: :evil:
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

What surprised me was that the retailers are prepared to loose a sale rather than use the Post Office, which I requested them to do

John - I live on Guernsey and our model shop is now nearly all plastic kits and a few Chinese ready builts. No epoxy or instant glue or much of anything else
MDev

Post by MDev »

The Post Office and its offshoots must be at the top of the list of poor services and overcharging.

I've taken to using glues from the 'sheds', Screwfix etc etc. Wikinsons do cyano for £1, it works but of course instead of paying for delivery we pay for petrol and parking, £1.80 an hour. After finishing my 1/3 scale I worked out I had spent at least £100 on glue which included 12 X bottles of Super Phatic + postage.

We cannot win.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

£100 on glue :o :o

We should go back to boiling up bones :lol:
Mark Erwood

Post by Mark Erwood »

It seems to me that it all depends on how hard suppliers are willing to negotiate with the courier services. I have just received a 7kg package, next day delivery, from Cheshire to Cornwall for £8.95 - and it was a day late. However, a tool company I use can send 30kg to Belgium, France, Germany etc for £9.50. They also do Highlands and Islands up to 30kg for £6.50.
Either model suppliers are not able or willing to negotiate better deals or perhaps they are profiting? Perhaps we can hear from someone in the trade?
In my experience, the Post Office and DPD are the most reliable services - here at any rate
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

It may be worth a try with Hobbyking. People slate there service but I have never had a problem, infact now I use the UK warehouse I would go as far as to say the service is very good. I only order what is in stock, never backorder. I have used HK glues for years, epoxy, superglue etc and havent had any issues. Some people like brand names but I think they are just paying for the name. Similarly HK batteries have always been good, I have never used really high powered, high C rated batteries but the Turnigy brand have served me well.