• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

CAP 1763

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Antonia

CAP 1763

Post by Antonia »

Good morning All,

Our local club just circulated this notice to members, I would love to know how others interpret the contents.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP ... idance.pdf

Antonia
Martin Gough

Re: CAP 1763

Post by Martin Gough »

I wonder who will be testing the pilots under the new rules?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Maybe we should wait for the BMFA to comment on this, rather than getting hysterical.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Unless more guidance has come out in the last few weeks... I think BMFA HAVE commented - it is here:

https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... 7xLhjITduQ

Worth reading the actual government document as model flyers seem to generally get a good press and I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be broadly left alone with the BMFA 'A' and 'B' test being the competence test. (famous last words...)
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

OK... so there IS more new stuff. BMFA comments are here:

https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... MAuiqqVgZM
Mark Erwood

Post by Mark Erwood »

Hi all,

I am not too sure that changes in legislation are going to achieve much. We will end up being restricted but will it affect the ignorant or mindless or careless? Probably not! And as I have said before, anyone determined to cause disruption only needs an Arduino, a 6-axis breakout board, a GPS module, pressure sensor, a PC and Googlemaps. With a bit of basic knowledge anyone can program their drone to fly completely autonomously, NO RADIO CONTROL!

There is also another issue. We are to be restricted to 400 ft. but who will monitor this and how do we measure this? If I am flying from a flat field then my telemetry will give me height above launch site – easy. If however I fly from a hill out over a valley (slope soaring) how do I get height over terrain? A GPS string only gives height above sea-level. To get height over terrain it would have to be integrated with a digital Ordnance Survey map. Is everyone going to be compelled to have telemetry and altimeters even in powered and freeflight models? Do we need some kind of radio altimeter?

I don’t see how this can be implemented and we also have to bear in mind that full-size altimeters don’t give height over terrain either. If there was an incident how could anyone prove fault or innocence without datalogging?

Any thoughts, anyone

Mark
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Nigel Argall wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 16:59 OK... so there IS more new stuff. BMFA comments are here:

https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... MAuiqqVgZM
It looks as though there are issues that the BMFA are following up with CAA and others, and will report back asap.

BC
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Mark
A small correction if I may? Most full size gliders,microlights, paragliders and GA do have terrain integrated with GPS to give them continuous height over terrain.
Mark Erwood

Post by Mark Erwood »

GeeW,

I know that most - but not all - general aviation aircraft have GPS integrated with mapping. I was very careful with my words but it is interesting that whilst trying to correct me you ignored my point. Do we need the same? We have no means of measuring height over terrain.

Mark
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

With the limited feedback so far I think we can all see 'we' as responsible not so small unmanned fixed wing aircraft pilots, and the BMFA have been hit on the blindside, and had not seen the blanket 400ft restriction coming. I really hope some common sense from the DfT can be forthcoming, but in the current political climate I'm not holding my breath.

Lets just hope the BMFA can make some headway in keeping our hobby viable, we need/must support all the arranged meetings, and hope that the organisers can get the 1500ft dispensation we have become use to keeping our hobby alive.

Antonia