Anyone wishing to register, once you have, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER for the confirmation email. {And please, if possible can you use your real names! there are far too many numbers and silly titles being used}

Caa permission to exceed 400 ft

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Cliff Evans

Re: Caa permission to exceed 400 ft

Post by Cliff Evans » 29 Apr 2019, 08:21

Below is an excerpt from a letter to my MP, also copied to Dr. Liam Fox who attended my clubs show at Woodspring wings last year where he said, and I quote. "what a well run professional show"

Excerpt.
most of us have taken a much more stringent test with the BMFA already! and the worst part is, It will not stop the drone problem! They as stated before need to be governed at source, maybe even license the retailers to sell them and keep a register and be answerable for that register.

I have not had a response from my Mp yet but, I have had a reply from Dr. Liam Fox's office to say that he has had the correspondence and is looking at it with interest! We will see!

John Vella

Post by John Vella » 29 Apr 2019, 08:41

Ladies and Gentlemen, if this stupidity comes to pass please DO NOT register. Look how busy the police were with the protests in London last week. The courts would be overflowing with cases of none compliance, and none payment of the fines if modellers stick together. Regards John.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 29 Apr 2019, 08:45

I take your point John but, do worry that doing that may invalidate any insurance you may have!

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 29 Apr 2019, 10:10

Also, there is a much bigger picture here. The commercial value of the airspace for the likes of Amazon to operate their delivery drones must be huge!!!

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 30 Apr 2019, 09:15

I agree with all comments posted. The trouble with creating Laws is that someone has to Police it. Do our Police forces have the time and resources to drive around the countryside on the look out for rogue model operators. If not, will the charges levied have to be increased in the future to compensate the Police. This is one hell of a slippery slope and such a draconian Big Brother attitude, if the CAA make the laws then they should pay for it.

I would imagine that many modellers would ignore this legislation and the CAA target of 170,000 will fall well short, thereby requiring an upscaling of the annual charge

I think I will go back to stamp collecting until a law is made for an extra charge for use of printers ink

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 30 Apr 2019, 09:19

There is a suggestion that the BMFA could register as the drone operator and pay the £16.50, and that would cover us all. Then we register as the fliers at no cost.

Seem like a plan...

:D :D :D :D

BC

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 30 Apr 2019, 09:24

Sounds good to me

SP250

Post by SP250 » 30 Apr 2019, 09:31

Or how about -
This is all about the safety of the airspace for full size aeroplanes.
If all commercial flights (100,000 + per day as per 2014 CAA figures) paid 10 pence per flight, then that would well cover the CAA cost of 2.8+ million per annum for the registration system.
Sadly we all know it won't make any difference to the rogues who want to disrupt commercial flights and airports.
But the CAA are basing their figures on 170,000 people registering. The BMFA have 34,000 and all other air space users are about 20,000, there is a huge shortfall to reach 170,000 & £2.8m. So the registration fee won't be £16.50 more like rapidly rising to £70/80 pa.
Now is it worth writing to all and sundry and filling in the survey?
John M

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 30 Apr 2019, 10:05

The sad thing is that the CAA has "put this out for consultation" but, I am becoming very cynical in that these organizations may say they want consultation but when it comes down to it they will do exactly as they please, regardless of consultation! A case in point is our Government! No matter what way you voted, remain or leave, they just do not take notice of what we say.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 30 Apr 2019, 15:42

Response from Dr. Liam Fox office!
My letter to him:

I consider myself lucky to have met you last year at the Woodspring Wings Model Show at Yatton. It was very kind of you to come along to the clubs annual show. I am writing to you as a person that is very concerned about my hobby. I am and have been for 50 years a very keen aeromodeller. I belong as most modelers do to the British Model Flying Association and as such carry, insurance provided by my membership. I have also taken several tests on my ability as a pilot over the years. I am concerned because my hobby is in danger of disappearing because of potential legislation relating to the use of drones. The CAA is now looking at imposing various conditions on my hobby simply so that they can try to govern these drones. The unintended consequences are that they in doing so may well kill the hobby off. There are a lot of options been put forward by the BMFA and modelers like myself that are being ignored. my hobby has an impeccable safety record and as such we are absolutely horrified at how we as responsible modelers are being targeted. I would ask that you listen to the debates in committees throughout parliament and perhaps help towards safeguarding this wonderful hobby. Thanking you Clifford Evans

Dr Fox has received a similar email from a constituent and so I have taken it up. I can’t face chasing your idle MP and so I will send you a copy of the Secretary of State for Transport’s reply when it is to hand.[/i]

Yours sincerely

Ione Douglas (Mrs)
P/A to the Rt Hon Dr Liam Fox MP
020 7219 4198

Send more letters emails to or even phone the office!!!