• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Slope Soarers over 7kg

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Slope Soarers over 7kg

Post by VinceC »

They had to start from somewhere and that seems to me a reasonable guess, but maybe it would be better to have left the weight out, after all there is only so much a man can lift and throw.

If it is troubling you , Barry, here is a little something to take it off your mind
Attachments
037neu-07_01a.jpg
B Sharp

Re: Slope Soarers over 7kg

Post by B Sharp »

If we go far enough back in time I seem to remember that the break point was 11 lbs and this was a function of FAI competition influence. Nothing above that weight was allowed in competition.
At some point that was modified to 7kg ( 15lb 7oz ) above which would be called a “Large Model” and subject to different rules. I do not know who instigated this figure but it appears to be quite arbitrary.
The quoted 14kg point ( 30lbs 13oz )appears to me a simple doubling of the 7Kg point and in my mind has been a very simplistic step rather than based on specific information.
Personally I am with Vince on this matter in that I don’t build models with a clearly defined weight limit in mind – what I can carry half a mile up a hill and then launch myself is the limiting factor.
Brian. :)