• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

CAA Registration Petition

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Simon WS

Re: CAA Registration Petition

Post by Simon WS »

+1 to everything Paul has written.

Several respected fellow flyers say they intend not to re join bmfa next year and not to register but if you fly a third scale glider at a National Trust hill or on Council owned land it's not that easy to just "run away" if police or other officials turn up! I would not expect over worked police are or that likely to check up but I can see the Council sending someone.

As another example of how messed up this whole thing is, one of our local Borough Councils has just imposed a drone ban (and us too of course) on all their land. Luckily we don't have a flying slope in that area but it is adjacent to our main flying slope so if that BC does the same thing this hobby is effectively over for me.

It's really very sad

Simon
mick a

Post by mick a »

to be honest
i think it will all fizzle out over a couple of years as the red tape and hassle to keep a check on everything will become too much, the council i think will only check if someone complains or there has been a serious accident .
I myself am a member of three clubs and they all require bmfa insurance to fly
this is mainly a rule of the rental agreement on the land, also if someone flies into a car or worse another member the insurance will cover, also the bmfa insurance also covers damage to shelters ( ours blew down and bmfa stepped in to help with repair)
so it’s not just about having an accident .
it’s less than a £1 a week, so for me i will keep paying the insurance, why cause anymore hassle, the registration has been knocking at our door for years (rumours etc )
it’s .33pence a week !
the test i agree is a joke but it’s a registration and that’s it .
just to sum up the bmfa have been good to the clubs i’m in and very supportive
mick
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Perhaps it is time to put some clear demarcation between these new (absurd), forthcoming regulations and the prospect of flying without adequate third party insurance here.

Surely, anyone who flies a model in this day and age, regardless of its classification without said insurance has got to be right out of their trees in my view.

Yes, all insurance policies have more that their fair share of ‘catch me if you can’ clauses, and I mean all of them, so please don’t be tempted into using that one as an excuse not to have it.

Please don’t let an (understandable) indignant stance get in the way of common sense here, time for calm nerves and cool heads don’t you think?
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Cliff

Where did you find the CAA test to be able to ascertain that you budgie could pass it?
Would like to have a look see.

John M
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Many fliers believe that there are so many get out clauses for them that the chance of a pay out after an accident is very,very slim.
Although I have not had any direct experience of dealing with our insurance company (Thankfully), I know a few that have, and I think that they will al tell you that they have been treated more than fairly.

A cost example would be my own insurance over the 55 or more years that I have been flying, most of which was under the S.M.A.E. and now BMFA insurance cover. At an average cost of say £30.00 a year (or its equivalent in the earlier years) this has cost me a staggering £1500 00 plus.
The actual cost of the insurance at present is £10-12 per year Terry, so it has cost more like £3-4K for all those years. One minor accident with a member of the public would have cost you way more than that. If you had caused a fatality, it would have bankrupt you.

I am not absolutely sure, but I think our insurance regularly pays out up to £ 100K per year. Damage to cars covers most of it.

The issue of our cover being null and void, if we do not register is not yet set in stone, but is under discussion at this time.

Non of this is the fault of the BMFA, they are fighting our corner on all fronts. We need to support them, not blame them.

This is down to the Government trying to commercialize the airspace that we have been safely using for many years.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BC
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I agree with these recent postings. All this registration and online testing rigmarole is certainly an irritation but definitely not enough to justify throwing our toys out of the pram (or shed, as the case may be).

And the thought of flying with anyone uninsured leaves me cold.

Trevor
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Sorry to add another rant but why is the Minimum age to be a registered Operator 18 YEARS OLD ? Come on a "CHILD" can fly a full-size glider SOLO at 14.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Well said Cliff.

:D :D :D :D

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Excellent news. the tide seems to have turned at last. Fingers crossed for the next round of talks :D :D
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

This from Dave Phipps today:-

Further to our previous update of 11th September (https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... ws-at-last ).

There is no real change to the situation as published. All parties are currently awaiting the outcome of the Secretary of State’s deliberations on the matter and there is little we can add until we receive this.

What we can confirm however is that the DRES scheme will not be rolled out on the 1st October (it seems unlikely that it will be rolled out before 14th October at the earliest) and for the time being we would therefore suggest that it remains ‘business as usual’ for our members. We would also encourage members not to rush into registering or taking the test when the DRES is eventually rolled out until we have issued further guidance.

We will update members as soon as we receive further information from the Secretary of State for Transport, the Department for Transport and/or the Civil Aviation Authority.