CAA Registration Petition

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Phill Tadman

Re: CAA Registration Petition

Post by Phill Tadman » 02 May 2019, 10:12

Update from BMFA:

The BMFA may raise a petition in the future, but want all of us to write to MPs, dOFT and the CAA as well.

Phill

Martin Gough

Post by Martin Gough » 02 May 2019, 11:56

I have just written to the CAA, Doft and my local MP.
I hope many other spend a few minutes to let them all know our feeling,
whether anything would come of our efforts is another thing.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 02 May 2019, 12:02

Did all my letters earlier.

VicG

Post by VicG » 03 May 2019, 17:54

Done

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 May 2019, 08:40

UPDATE From the petitioner.

3 May 2019 —

Here is an update, this is not the end but hopefully a new beginning :) See below

''Today, the BMFA's CEO has been contacted and asked to attend a meeting with the Aviation Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton.

This has come about directly because of YOUR reaction to the CAA's proposal, completing the consultation and emailing both the CAA and the DfT.

YOU HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN!

Whilst this is a positive step, we cannot stop the pressure that is being applied, the fight must and will continue.

If you have yet to complete the CAA consultation, email the CAA, DfT or your local MP, please take a few minutes this weekend and give them your views of the proposal.''

FANTASTIC WORK......keep going :) :)

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to the Baroness last week.

I have been flying model aircraft since the age of 9 years, I am now 59 years old and have in all that time flown safely and more to the point responsibly. I am and have been a member of the BMFA for many years and as such carry insurance, I have taken part in proficiency tests that are far more stringent than your online test could possibly be. I have to object in the strongest possible way about the way aero-modellers are being targeted and grouped in with these drones. We have an impeccable safety record and as such should be treated very differently to the "rogue" drone population. These problem drones should be registered at the point of sale and I would go as far as to say only be available through licensed sellers. You could charge these sellers to be licensed and they could be responsible for the registration of the drones and even charge a fee for that registration. To put us as aero-modellers in the same category as the drones is totally unacceptable and I consider it a dereliction of duty on the part of the CAA. The BMFA has had a very good relationship with the CAA and they are putting this relationship at serious risk.
I am a member of several clubs throughout the country one of which has an annual show for the public. Last years show was attended by Dr. Liam Fox MP who said and I quote, "What a wonderful show so professionally run and what a great spectacle for the public". I know that he has had much correspondence on this matter and is looking at the implications of your actions.
We do know what we are doing and how to conduct ourselves.
I therefore respectfully ask that you look at these proposals very carefully.

Yours sincerely

Clifford Evans

eric friend

Post by eric friend » 04 May 2019, 10:47

Well done Cliff.
Even though a meeting is being arranged between the Baroness and the BMFA, I shall still send her a polite but firm letter.
Shame you couldn't make it to Buckminster this weekend, I'll be driving there from the soft Southeast with Swarrans and his 1/3rd csale ASH26 for his first aerotow with it.
See you at Middle Wallop in a couple of weeks.
Cheers,
Eric

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 05 May 2019, 09:18

I hope you both have a great weekend.

:D :D :D :D

BC

eric friend

Post by eric friend » 06 May 2019, 10:07

Good morning Barry.
Yes, we had an excellent day yesterday meeting up with flying acquaintences old and new.
As we were further north than the events that we normally attend, it was a good opportunity to put real faces to names that we have long seen on the forum.
Once again the Ghosties put on an excellent event, so we are looking forward to the first Middle Wallop session in two weeks time.
Safe flying,
Eric

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 06 May 2019, 13:38

I guarantee that this is a big part of our problem, the airspace that we occupy is worth a small fortune to a lot of companies out there!!
59631529_2038183463150766_2750497683423625216_n.jpg

Off the back of this, I have emailed Baroness Vere baroness.vere@dft.gov.uk, Dr Liam Fox ione.douglas@parliament.uk, Richard Moriarty richard.moriarty@caa.co.uk and the BMFA admin@bmfa.org with a copy of this article and the following statement.

Please read the attached article from the US where modellers are having a similar problem with the FAA. Our airspace is not for the highest bidder! Amazon has been indicating that they wish to deliver by drone over here in the UK as well. Please do not let this happen at our expense. The Flight information region is outside of controlled airspace and totally unregulated except that pilots cannot fly below 500ft. Why should we give up our airspace below 500ft for the likes of Amazon to make money?

Your Sincerely

Clifford Evans

Mary Evans

Post by Mary Evans » 06 May 2019, 17:22

I think there is a valid concern here, It would seem that nothing in hobbies is sacred any more, especially if there is an opportunity for someone to make a profit. I do so hope that something happens to prevent the deception of the the currently well managed and well used model airspace.