CAA Registration Petition

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Mike F

Re: CAA Registration Petition

Post by Mike F » 06 May 2019, 18:30

Thanks, Cliff, for your steer. Mails sent as suggested.

Regards
Mike

eric friend

Post by eric friend » 20 May 2019, 19:57

Some of you will already have seen this interview with Jonathan Nicholson, Deputy Director Communications for the CAA, but for those of you who haven't, it's an interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es9bsJIZQ7Y&t=128s

Note: This is the full length version of the interview as the video circulating earlier in the month and posted on other sites, was truncated in the upload, five minutes short of the end.

Eric

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 22 May 2019, 11:47

Dr Liam Fox MP has just forwarded the following from Chris Grayling regarding the CAA etc to me.
Scan0001.pdf
(779.76 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 22 May 2019, 14:20

It sounds much more to do with selling airspace to Amazon etc, than safety issues.

I have yet to see or hear anything in these proposals that will aid safety..

BC

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 22 May 2019, 14:26

Totally agree with you Barry.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 22 May 2019, 15:22

I have just drafted the email below as a response to the email I had from the CAA which is below my response. Getting totally pissed off with these people.

I have just had this correspondence from the CAA. I find it very rude, condescending and totally over the top. They use the word "education" sorry but I have been flying for 50 years without accident or incident. I DO NOT NEED EDUCATING. How insulting!! You have no idea at all how this is alienating the modelling community. This is an out and out disgrace and all geared towards making the air space we use a commercial venture. The competency test is a joke, I have already taken competency tests of a far higher standard. The attitude towards the modelling community will just breed contempt and I for one hold the CAA in that now. We are already getting close to a point of anarchy in this country this will just alienate more people. It may interest you to know that we are also considered a sport and as such I will be writing to Sports Council England to ask for their protection Please see the following. https://www.fai.org/sport/aeromodelling ... splay=list https://www.topendsports.com/sport/list ... deling.htm https://www.craftsamericashows.com/comp ... s-a-sport/

Yours. a very disgruntled

Cliff Evans
------ Forwarded Message --------
Date: 22/05/2019 14:43:00
Subject: RE: CAA Drone regulations
To: Cliff BY <cliff.evans@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc: drone consult <droneconsult@caa.co.uk>

Dear Mr Evans

Thank you for your correspondence on the UK’s drone registration and education system (DRES).

The CAA understands that this is an important issue for the drone and model flying community.

CAA consultation on DRES charge

The current CAA consultation specifically covers the proposed charge for the operator registration scheme. If you wish your views on this aspect to be taken into account in the final decision on the level of the charge, then please complete the short consultation at https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance ... gistration.

Government policy for drone registration and education

Plans for a UK drone registration and education scheme stem from the UK Government’s consultation in 2018 on the future UK policy framework for drones. In its 7th January 2019 response to this consultation, the Government made clear that the UK mandated drone registration and education scheme requirements would be implemented by the end of November 2019.

In its response, it also said that model aircraft would fall within the scope of DRES and that there would be no blanket exemptions, adding that any specific requirements for model aircraft could not be funded by taxpayers or other drone operators. The Government then amended the law, the Air Navigation Order (ANO), to bring the scheme into effect at the end of November 2019. The EASA regulation on drones, which contains some specific provisions for model aircraft associations, is expected to be published in final form shortly and will start to come into force sometime during 2020. Once that regulation is in force in the UK we would then expect to review and, where necessary, align the UK approach with that EASA regulation. At present, however, we are working towards a DRES system that aligns with UK law and policy.

If you wish to contact the Government (Department for Transport (DfT)) around the wider aspects of the scheme (beyond the charge) and what it encompasses you can do this at https://forms.dft.gov.uk/contact-dft-and-agencies/.

CAA’s implementation of the UK drone registration and education scheme

Within the UK legal and policy framework, the Government has tasked the CAA with successfully implementing the new drone registration and education service by October 2019.

There are a few key points that have been made in the correspondence sent to us that we would like to clarify:

Age limits: The Government’s current policy is that drone and model aircraft operators will have to be at least 18 years of age, but there is currently no age prohibition for remote pilots, providing they meet the required level of competence and operate under the responsibility of an operator;
Model aircraft associations or clubs as operators: model aircraft associations or clubs would have the option of registering as the operator with their members acting as remote pilots. In this scenario, the association or club would need to meet any legal requirements and take accountability and responsibility for the actions of their members, and members would need to abide by the remote pilot requirements.
As part of the development process for DRES and the individual user-level research required by the Government Digital Service framework, we have been engaging over the last four months during the discovery and prototyping stages of the project with a range of users, including the model flyer community. Around 25% of our audience has been individual model flyers, recognising that the view of this community is of importance to us for ensuring continued safe model flying under an increasingly complex airspace landscape.

We will continue to engage with model aircraft and drone representative groups going forwards as we finalise the DRES system and aim to keep all those affected up-to-date on progress and the requirements of the new scheme.

Yours sincerely

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 24 May 2019, 09:10

Instead of using us as whipping boys, maybe the solution will come from the drone industry itself. Read this article:
https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/05/its-a ... to-planes/

spike spencer

Post by spike spencer » 30 May 2019, 19:52

Spike S.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 06 Jun 2019, 09:44

This is what we a really up against, Amazon buying the airspace we use from the Department of Transport (Chris Grayling).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48536319

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 06 Jun 2019, 10:48

After speaking to the reporter at the BBC that wrote the article on the drone aspirations by Amazon, I have just written to her, she seems very keen to put our side across to the public. Here is a copy of the letter.

Hi Jane, thank you for taking my call this AM.

As stated on the phone I have been an aeromodeller most of my life and been a member of the BMFA for many years.

Since the materialization of drones, we have as aero modellers been targeted as drone pilots. We are not! As members of the BMFA we have public liability insurance as part of our membership. We have a competence scheme where pilots are encouraged to take tests to improve their piloting abilities and general flight safety protocols. The BMFA over the years has had a very good relationship with the CAA. This has been under great strain recently since the Department of transport has been putting pressure on the CAA to limit and control our hobby. We are being targeted under the headline of’ Safety’, but we as aero modellers, under the guidance of their governing body, the BMFA, are already very safety conscious and responsible air space users. There have been rumours regarding Amazon wanting to use drones to deliver goods for many months.

After seeing your report on Amazon's drone aspirations, (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48536319) it is becoming more and more obvious that we as aero modellers are being targeted because of the commercial value of the airspace that we occupy. I and all other modellers that I know find this offensive and unnecessary. The Department of transport is saying that they need to regulate us along with the drones because of the recent reported activity of the drones over Gatwick. To date, none of this activity has been confirmed and nobody has been caught.

The media coverage has not mentioned the effect of any of this activity on the aero-modelling community which over the years has contributed to the aerospace industry. Modellers, in fact, were employed to go to Afghanistan to fly the UAV’s targeting insurgents, so we obviously have our uses when it suits.

This is the latest report from the BMFA regarding a meeting held with the Department of transport yesterday. https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... oness-Vere

No mention of the use of drones by Amazon there! I think the DFT are keeping the Amazon thing quiet because of the commercial value to the DFT.

I hope that this helps you a little towards this story. Please get in touch with the BMFA 0116 2440028 and ask to speak to Dave Phipps.