• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Saturday - Butser vs Harting vs A.N.Other?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Saturday - Butser vs Harting vs A.N.Other?

Post by mjcp »

Hi all,

Looking at Saturday's forecast, a F3/4 Northerly and only 10% chance of rain, I have a couple of options to explore further afield...

(but cannot square a 2-3 hour drive each way to Buckminster)

So, I've not flown either Butser or Harting, both read as though a N wind works for them, which to try?

I have a variety of land magnets (both foam and crunchy, 25" -> 157") but would ideally like somewhere to re-maiden a 4m DG. (i.e. somewhere with a bit of a land-out area rather than a sea cliff!)

Thanks in advance.

Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Nigel Argall

Re: Saturday - Butser vs Harting vs A.N.Other?

Post by Nigel Argall »

I've flown Butser many times and it is a great site - big hill with a big flat area for landing. I've walked Harting but not flown there. Flying interests are looked after by the local Meon valley Soaring club - have always been helpful and friendly to visitors like me. They have a summary of their sites on their web page but it seems to imply Harting is for members only - worth checking rather than antagonising them. To be honest, if the Butser north slope is flyable, I think it is probably better. It is a bit of a walk from the car park but well worth it.
See:
http://mvsa.bmfa.org/flying-sites
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Re: Saturday - Butser vs Harting vs A.N.Other?

Post by mjcp »

Thanks Nigel,

I have read the Meon site and emailed the membership contact on the membership form... As you say, best to play nice, rather than annoy, especially in this day and age of anti model flight!

Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.