• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

CAA Compliance Queries

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Dave Cooper

CAA Compliance Queries

Post by Dave Cooper »

Hi Folks,

Apologies if I'm a bit behind the curve here, but, are we stuck with the 400' /7Kg upper limits for the time being (or, indeed the future ) ?

Also, do we have to prove competency even if we are non-power (eg traditional slope soarer) ? If so, I guess this means 'A', 'B' and 'C' type tests as per the power modellers ?

I'm just about to start the build on a 1/5th scale soarer and am wondering about insurance (I have the standard BMFA insurance at present). Mind you at the rate I build it will probably be all sorted out (just like Brexit...)

Confused of Wiltshire
FrankS

Re: CAA Compliance Queries

Post by FrankS »

Dave, if you have registered an e-mail address with the BMFA then you should have just had an e-mail which explains it all. If you haven't and would like a copy then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

But basically if you haven't got a BMFA A cert (power or glider) then you'd need to take the CAA online test (of BMFA one which they will be rolling out).

400ft for over 7kg models remains, as before, but for lighter models then BMFA.LMA,SAA and FPVUK members are exempt from this.

If your 1/5th scale soarer weighs more than 7kg then it is very unlikely you'll exceed 400ft :lol:
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Thanks for the reply Frank. Just found the email.

I hope to come in under 7Kg !
Dave
Keith

Post by Keith »

As it's the 5 November do we need to register and take this B****y test or has the BMFA sorted it ?

Keith
Howard wise

Post by Howard wise »

Thanks for the clear that up Cliff, sounds like the best thing to do is just wait for the next BMFA update. Still confused, what do I get for my £9 ?????? :? :? :?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Howard wise wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 18:06 Thanks for the clear that up Cliff, sounds like the best thing to do is just wait for the next BMFA update. Still confused, what do I get for my £9 ?????? :? :? :?
Basically nothing... You just say "Legal"

:( :( :( :(

BC
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

I now have my flyer ID and will get on with cutting some stickers for my airframes, will play havoc with the scale police...

Fairly painless and for less than £1 a month, I'm struggling to find many negatives, it'll now be easy for us legit pilots to spot non legit airframes without their numbers.

Ell.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I think your labels need to carry your operator Id, not your flyer id:
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/label ... l-aircraft
mick a

Post by mick a »

Elliot
did you take the test or just register ?
Richard_A

Post by Richard_A »

Elliot, the ID number doesn't have to be shown on the outside of the airframe. Anywhere inside, such as the battery compartment will do. See the BMFA site for this and other general comments.

Richard.