• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Glass cloth application

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
StephenB

Glass cloth application

Post by StephenB »

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about glassing the fuselage of my Fauvette, not having done this for more years than I care to remember I'm looking for advice on how best to go about it.

It looks quite tricky to apply, care needed with regards to mixing ratios and temperature for curing. I can get a one stop solution from Bucks Composites https://www.bucks-composites.com/produc ... del-planes which gives me the resin, cloth, brush etc. this is a one pot resin so no mixing but it looks to have a long curing time and be temperature critical. One problem with this is that they won't ship to Hungary so I'll have to find a workaround.

An alternative is this system by R&G which I can source from Lindiger https://www.lindinger.at/en/supplies-un ... ner-l-280g This is a two part resin but I can't find much info on it.

As it's only the fus that I'm glassing I'm assuming a brush is the best method of applying the resin? Would the 280g option be enough resin? Do I coat the wood first to seal it?
speedy

Re: Glass cloth application

Post by speedy »

Hi Stephen,

the R&G resin you mention is a more ore less standard epoxy system for use in model applications and I always by the 2,5kg cans ;-)
Together with a suitable glass cloth it is a good choice for glassing a fuselage or wing, as long as curing temperatures are sufficient (>= 20°C). I always use the 49g/m² Interglas 02037 by R&G as it is a good combination between strength and weight and it is available with a width of 127cm.
You can easily obtain all these things directly from R&G. On their webpages you will also find a good documentation about glassing a plane.
If you don't want to use a two part resin, only want it to glass fuselages and wings and a bit lower strength is ok, think about applying glass cloth using G4 from Voss Chemie. It is a one component PU resin, can be thinned for wood sealing an also mixed with talcum as an easy sandable filler on the glass.
Regards,
Christian
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Hi Stephen

For more years than I care to remember I have been using G4 to glass my models. It can be brushed on straight from the tin as it requires no mixing. It can also be applied at any temperature, even below freezing, and cures in +/- 45mins. Use with 25 or 49g cloth depending on the size of your model.
Lay the glass cloth on the model and smooth it out with your hands. Apply the G4 starting from the middle of the panel and lightly brush it out as far as it will go. You only need to put enough on to hold the cloth in place. Any "wet" patches should be brushed out. Once it is dry a sceond coat can be brushed on without any pre sanding of the surface, again brush this on sparingly to avoid puddles or runs. Depending on your proposed final finish 2 coats may be enough but I add a very light 3rd coat and cut it back with 240 grade wet and dry, used dry, to key up for paint. It sands very easily, not like epoxy as long as you sand it within a couple of days. after that it sets very hard and is difficult to sand.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

The VossChemie G4 sounds ideal, is this the correct product http://www.vc-24.com/index.php?id=4&rev ... 2dd24fe621?
speedy

Post by speedy »

Yes, it is.
But I think you won't be able to get it directly from Voss ...
If you cannot find a source in Hungary, I always order G4 at "Toplicht":
https://www.toplicht.de/de/shop/yachtfa ... rundierung
Be sure to get the thinner, too:
https://www.toplicht.de/de/shop/yachtfa ... verduenner

And some talcum from pharmacy or wheels dealer ...
Regards,
Christian
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thanks for the link Christian, sadly Toplicht have a minimum order of €50 for delivery outside of Germany.

The search continues ............
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Christian

There are several suppliers in the UK who are happy to post G4, a quick google.co.uk search will find them.
Personally I have never used their thinners. I have always G4 straight from the tin and clean my brushes in cellulose thinners.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
speedy

Post by speedy »

StephenB wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 12:02 Thanks for the link Christian, sadly Toplicht have a minimum order of €50 for delivery outside of Germany.

Stephen,

I just saw that you can get G4 even on Amazon, if that works for you ...
Regards,
Christian
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

speedy wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 12:17
StephenB wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 12:02 Thanks for the link Christian, sadly Toplicht have a minimum order of €50 for delivery outside of Germany.

Stephen,

I just saw that you can get G4 even on Amazon, if that works for you ...
Nope, no sellers of G4 on Amazon are shipping to Hungary :(
Graeme Hogg

Post by Graeme Hogg »

Try Fighteraces, we sell L285 resin plus glass cloth etc....if in doubt, give Phil Clark a call for any advice on glassing equipment and technique, I’m sure we will ship to Hungary