• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Workshop setup and ideas

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
CalT

Re: Workshop setup and ideas

Post by CalT »

Thanks all for the feedback and ideas. I'm thinking now long term I'll wall it in and insulate it. Still a couple of years before we're there permanently. Making the whole space a workshop isn't an option (sadly) although I will have one bench on casters that I will use there when needing to rig. Thanks for the photos Brian, that's a good set up. I'll have to get some draws too. It's going to be a work in progress for a while and a huge improvement on what I had in our previous house. :D
paulj

Post by paulj »

I am currently building my workshop in the garden. It's a traditional timber frame building 5m x 3m, and clad in larch.
Building the frame:

IMG_9751.jpg

Here is the frame after erection and fixing of the sarking boards on the roof:

59552825541__C532E349-F164-48AB-9437-65F740C55C95.JPG

This is how far I have got to date:

IMG_9962.JPG

We couldn't put the ridge on last week, since the wind reached a level where we weren't comfortable on the roof. Hopefully we will get it on soon. The roof is insulated, as will the walls be when they are complete, so hopefully it will be very comfortable inside.
Once this is done, I can start on my Moswey III...

edit: Don't know why the preview and the actual post are different in layout...!!
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Keeping Tidy : Material dust being what it is - the brush, pan and bin will always be busy, just like the others say...

Comfort : I find Spring and Autumn to be 'nice' building seasons - really good insulation, ventilation and heating the rest of the time. You can't beat natural daylight. Strip-lights are good but watch safety when using machine tools (get them wired so as to avoid 'stroboscopic' effects).

Model size : Wings can be built / erected in stages /sections of span. Tail surfaces are rarely a problem. Fuselages may need some creativity if you are going for a large model (eg a 'split' at around mid-length may do the trick).

Finding things : Shelves and drawers are more or less essential. Hang the tools you use most near /over the work bench. When trying to decide where to store something I say to myself "where would I look for this if I were trying to find it ?"

Damp : Car in garage coupled to workshop alongside, can lead to a lot of rusty tools etc if the car is put away when wet. Better to let it dry off outside first.

A radio /sound system and a workshop clock are useful for those rather boring modelling tasks and for keeping the other half happy when it comes to meal times etc. (My wife says she can set the kitchen clock by my returns indoors !)

Best regards and happy modelling,
Dave
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

paulj wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 09:38

............edit: Don't know why the preview and the actual post are different in layout...!!

Paul, if you leave a minimum of two clear line spaces (three is probably better) between titles and attachments (images) it should pan out ok.
paulj

Post by paulj »

Thanks Robbie! Looks now like someone fixed it - if so: Thanks!
Cliff Hannam

Post by Cliff Hannam »

"Damp : Car in garage coupled to workshop alongside, can lead to a lot of rusty tools etc if the car is put away when wet. Better to let it dry off outside first."

Car?....... in the garage!.......what ever next ;) ?
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Paul

That looks like a good sturdy design you built there - just needs to be about 4 times the size!

John M
paulj

Post by paulj »

Hi John,

It's 17' by 10' - I hope that's big enough! I can also store models in the roof space, as I have vaulted the ceiling with no internal structure (apart from supports as required later).
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Paul, very nice solid construction. My "shed" is similar size 10×16 ft. It is very cosy and well insulated. Obviously extra volume means bigger heating bills. 80% of my shed time is in Winter months. Ideally I would have a second storage shed instead of using the garage shared with my vintage car. Regards John.