• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wing retention

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
GordonT

Wing retention

Post by GordonT »

OK, now that I think I have my wing joiner problem sorted out, my thoughts now turn to ensuring they stay where they're supposed to. The model is currently fitted with two hooks in each root rib which hold the wings on by passing elastic bands through the fuselage. I've used this system on previous models and, while it works OK, is a bit of a pain to assemble, particularly when there's two sets of bands involved. Surely there's a better way in this day and age? I did find a thread on the old forum which referenced a Graupner system, but the links died long ago and I can find nothing similar on the current Graupner website. Any suggestions for something simple and positive? BTW the model is a 4m SF28 Tandem Falke. Thanks!
B Sharp

Re: Wing retention

Post by B Sharp »

Gordon, I am currently using the wing locking units shown below. On my gliders up to 5.00 metres I use 2 wing locks on each wing. On smaller 3.00 metre and below gliders I use only one joiner. They reliably hold the wing in place, but they will release in the event of a hard, or sudden landing.

http://www.gliders.uk.com/MULITlico-Uni ... UL-725142/

Brian. :)
GordonT

Post by GordonT »

Brian - Thanks. I saw those, but wasn't sure if they'd be positive enough for a larger model. I assume that you can get the wings off easily enough when you need to? I'll order some and see if they can easily be fitted.
On second thoughts, if they release in the event of a hard landing, they'll be releasing every time I fly it! :lol:
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Best I've found is a threaded rod fastened into the wing. Poke it through 3/4 inch through the wing fairing and fix with a wing nut. Job done. Strong and quick to fix.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Big problem with that Jimbo is that if you catch a wing tip on a tussock or clump of heather in my case you can tear the attachment right out of the wing. (been there - done that, Oh so many times). :x
Gordon, you get supplied with a small red wedge which is very effective at prising the wings apart. If you have a heavy landing and the fasteners pop out of place (as intended) it takes only a moment to pop them back securely into place again. :) :) :)
Brian. :)
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

If you use plastic nuts and threaded rod they shear on a hard impact, you drill them out and replace. Simples!
spike spencer

Post by spike spencer »

"Hard landing" I understand but how do you define a "sudden landing" ? Are those the ones in which you experience deceleration sickness ?
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Gordon, I agree with Brian & I have recently started using these on my 4m PT Vega and 5m ASW20.
These both use 14mm steel joiner strip and 3mm rear incidence peg.
I am only using a single 3 ring locking peg just forward (about 25mm) of the main joiner.
This works well and needs the supplied wedge to help pop them off when de-rigging.
GordonT

Post by GordonT »

Thanks for the help chaps - I'll give the plastic retainers a try and see how they go.

Jimbo - access to the inside is severely restricted by cockpit parts, otherwise I'd give your method a try.

Mark - Your linky appears to have been 'nobbled' - please check or remove. I did think about using springs between the hooks, but I feel they'd be as difficult to fit as bands.
Chris Veitch

Post by Chris Veitch »

Hi

I use Multiplex multi lock as described on the smaller 4m
m6 plastic bolts, bolted from the inside on larger, these sheer on hard landings and just screw out. You can cut a slot an screw them out at worst

Chris