• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Professional repair

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
BrettW

Professional repair

Post by BrettW »

OK, I know this isn't a scale glider question, but I need to pick the brains of the forum.

Having split & crumpled a section of the leading edge on a wing of my Schwing 88 hollow moulded model when I found the only rock on the landing patch after a less-than-perfect arrival (active rotor on a very gusty day) I obviously need to repair it. The problem is, that like many forum members, I've grown allergic to superglue and epoxy to the extent that I simply can't undertake any work with them now whatsoever.

Can anyone therefore suggest the name of a reputable professional repairer who would be able to do the repair? Preferrably someone they've had good experience with! I've never come across anyone who does this kind of work before, probably because most of my models are balsa. Obviously it's going to cost, but this model is worth the effort.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, BrettW
Keith

Re: Professional repair

Post by Keith »

Pictures would help please.
BrettW

Post by BrettW »

Thanks for replying Keith. (Enjoying your SDZ-8 thread)

Pictures not possible at this time as I'm away from home for a few days.
From memory the LE split is approx 3" long and the surface has torn back by around half an inch in the middle of the split, if that helps.

Cheers, BrettW
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Brett,
The damage doesn’t seem too bad & I would imagine not too difficult to repair using epoxy.
I’m a also a West Mendip member & quite local to you, although I haven’t been up the Peak much lately.
I’ve not repaired moulded wings before, but if you get desperate give me a shout via PM or get number from Bob Flook.

Hopefully other forum members who are more experienced in mouldie repairs can advise best method given a few photos of the damage.
Peter
terry white

Post by terry white »

Brett. I do lots of professional repairs for the lads that cant repair for many reasons. However as you will know modeling takes time and if a repairer charges even the minimum costs it soon eats into the budget, also if you are looking for a 'as new finish' repair then the costs can soar. I am sure that if you have played with epoxy enough to have become sensitized then you will know what I mean.
However If the leading edge can be remolded with a light epoxy filler and glass cloth (which it sounds from your description that it can) then it should not be too expensive. Check if there is any rippling of the surface a little further back from the L.E. or that the surface has not sprung off of the spar which is often the case and can be easily missed. these need to be put right first of coarse. Profile former's taken from the exact position of the other side wing will give you an exact profile to work to.
As others have already said to help further we should wait till you can post a photo of the problem. But don't worry one of us can help you. Terry
BrettW

Post by BrettW »

Many thanks guys for the encouraging replies.
I'll give the wing a much closer inspection and post photos when I return home early this coming week.

Cheers, BrettW
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Brett

If you want some pictures to go with Terry's advice take a look at Tony Fu's sloperacer.blogspot.com › fu-fix-fixes

For lightly damaged leading edges the repair is reasonably simple. Getting a perfect finish, well that's another matter (for me at least).

Rgds
Mike
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

BrettW

Post by BrettW »

Couple of photos of the wing damage attached, as promised for the 'gallery of shame'!
No rippling or buckling of the surface is evident, as far as I can see
There is in addition a small area of skin damage on the lower surface nearer to the tip, and the aileron horn has torn free.

Cheers, Brett
Attachments
Top wing surface
Top wing surface
Bottom
Bottom
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Brett, that's not bad. Looks to be no structural damage at all.Where about in Somerset do you live, how far from Wareham Dorset are you?