• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

PT ASW20 & Pik20 CG suggestions please

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Cliff Evans

Re: PT ASW20 & Pik20 CG suggestions please

Post by Cliff Evans »

mjcp wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:10 Intriguing! Yes please, would be good to confirm and set the correct CG!

Any other identifiers you can think of?

... and the follow on question:

Do I leave it "as-is" for "historical accuracy" or fit servos in the wings to make rigging a straightforward process (currently there are 4 ball joints to pop on/off in addition to lining up they forks) as a winter project?

Marc
That can really only be your decision, It is what I would do!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

MJCP, Regarding the CG position I think Pat went for an ultra safe setup on his instructions. Having owned most of his range over the years (inc 3 Pics and 3 ASW20s) and flown many more they all were a bit puddingy with the recomended CG position. OK perhaps for the slope but disappointing when flown on the flat. After trimming mine I usually ended up with the CG between 10 & 15mm rearward.
My advice would be to balance initially 10/15mm back from the recommended position then add a few removable blocks of lead to bring the CG back to its recommended point before first flight. You then have the option of removing little chunks of weight to trim the model to your personal flying tastes.
Brian. :)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Marc,
Check out my recent PIK20 rebuild thread in the rebuilds section.
I did major repairs on the rear fuselage/fin & then used a new built-up wing structure which has 3 servos in each wing.

It may be worth thinking of modifying your foam wings at some point to fit flap servos in a balsa lined box after cutting an appropriate recess in the bottom of the wing. You can probably use a sharpened rod pushed through the foam to arrange your servo wire to exit next to the others to make rigging easier. (I have a single 6 pin MPX connector for all servo connections.)

I’ve initially set the CoG as per the plan figure, but as Brian says, Pat always identified a very safe position to start with, allowing the pilot to trim backwards to taste.
Peter
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

I'm doing exactly that on my Caproni Calif A-14.

I'll post some pictures of the modification to the spoilers this week.

viewtopic.php?f=57&p=28511#p28511

Cheers
Max
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Both were re-maidened this past weekend on the Bwlch / Mickey's. Winds were fresh at 20mph on the edge for the PIk20 and ~15 for the ASW20 the following day.

Video Linky - iCloud share

Classic post maiden photo-ops:

PIK 20 post re-maiden
IMG_3916.jpeg

ASW 20 post re-maiden
58d2e2ba-1d62-44d1-ab12-e6cc6a19ff25.jpg
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.