• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Balsa

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
B Sharp

Balsa

Post by B Sharp »

I don't know if any of you have had a similar experience recently but I have just come off the phone to Balsa Cabin who tell me that they have no balsa wood. They referred me to SLEC but warned that they also have limited supplies of the heavier and harder grades of wood. Seemingly the mill which supplies the timber (to Balsa Cabin and SLEC) has been sold and the new owners have dismantled it and moved it to a new location. Balsa cabin has been given a date in February for new stocks.
Well that's my winter building schedule out the window. Folks like me and Chris Williams are going to need to need serious counselling come the new year!
Brian. :o :shock: :? :x :cry: :cry: :cry:
Paul_Williams

Re: Balsa

Post by Paul_Williams »

The balsa situation is potentially permanent as its a major component of wind turbine blades and production of those is increasing rapidly.
Allegedly prices have doubled and are likely to treble. Several national news stories have picked up on this. Lockdowns in producer countries are aggravating the situation.
Our only long term hope is that alternatives such as PET, ae adopted by the industry - there is currently a shortage of that but production can be increased a lot easier and more certainly than growing balsa trees.
Looks like we are going to be using a lot more ply.
Paul
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Think positive Brian, how clean is your workshop going to be now?

Good time to give the vacuum an overhaul..............
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Not much of a balsa problem here in Australia. The shops are short of stock with the excuse they cannot get it. It is probably more because turnover is down and they do not want to invest in stock much. I get mine from Balsa Central in Aus. No shortage of stock. Good quality, service and competitive cost, It is far from you guys for transport.
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

Not for me, Jilles. :D

Balsa Central are great. 8-)
Max
Andy Wallace

Post by Andy Wallace »

https://www.slecuk.com/important-information
Got this link off our Niaa Facebook page
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Just received my order from SLEC. They still have good supplies of medium balsa in most sizes. Be quick. :D